|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Dispersed aircraft pens, consisting of characteristic E-shaped earth banks at St Eval airfield in 1942. Each pen has room for two aircraft. The placing of these pens attempts to conceal them; they are sited on farmland and are laid out along the lines of existing hedges.||12/05/2009||578|
|St Eval airfield in June 1941. There are bomb craters within the airfield itself and beyond the perimeter track towards the bottom right of the photo. Note also the camouflage paint applied to the runway and to three large hangars and other buildings.||12/04/2009||636|
|RAF St Eval was a strategic airbase for the RAF Coastal Command in the Second World War (situated in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom). St Eval's primary role was to provided vital anti-submarine and anti-shipping patrols off the South West coast of England. Aircraft from the base were also used for photographic reconnaissance missions, meteorological flights, convoy patrols, air-sea rescue mi...||06/01/2008||760|
|RAF Davidstow Moor was an airbase near Camelford in Cornwall, United Kingdom from 1942 until 1945. Despite a few periods of intense activity it was one of Coastal Commands's lesser used airfields. |
The land was acquired in 1941 and construction took place in first half of 1942. Providing a three runway airfield with extensive dispersal area. Despite the moorland conditions constr...
|RAF Debden is a former RAF airfield in England. The field is located 3 miles SE of Saffron Walden and approximately 1 mile north of the village of Debden in North Essex. |
The airfield was opened in April 1937 and was first used by the Royal Air Force. During the early years of World War II, it was a Sector Station with an Operations Block for No.11 Group RAF during the Battle of ...
|A private airstrip prior to World War II, the Camden airfield hosted Nos 4, 15, 21, 32 and 78 Squadrons at various stages during the war, in addition to the Central Flying School between 1940 and 1942, and a British transport unit, RAF No 243 Squadron, during the latter part of World War II. By 1946, the airfield had been returned to its civil status.||03/21/2007||661|
|RAF Chipping Ongar (also known as Willingale) is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located chiefly in the parish of Willingale 2 miles north-east from the town of Chipping Ongar and eight miles from Chelmsford in Essex. |
Chipping Ongar airfield was one of 15 airfields in Essex that was allocated to the United States Army Air Forces by the Air Ministry in 194...
|In World War 1 the airfield was used as a base for maritime patrols and it played an important role in the Atlantic maritime theatre, until operational flying ceased in 1942. In 1942 the base became No.10 Radio School, a training base for aircrew wireless operators, a role it was to perform until the end of the war. The station closed in 1945. |
|Membury airfield was scheduled for construction for RAF operational training use. The major construction work was done in the spring and summer of 1942 to enable Membury to be ready for use that autumn. |
br> Membury was built to the bomber standard of the time and consisted of three runways of 4,554 ft (22-04), 3,430 ft (17-35), and 3,300 ft (27-09). 33 "Frying Pan" hardstands were const...
|There are references to Kahuku as an emergency field dating to the 1930's, but it was not until the United States entered World War II that the airfield was developed. Kahuku Army Airfield was classified as an auxiliary field and had a very short life span, from 1942 until it was closed in the late 1940's. Ground troops were stationed in the area to protect the airfield and man the shoreline fo...||10/28/2008||823|
|Bataan Airfield was a former wartime United States Army Air Forces airfield on Luzon in the Philippines. It was overrun by the Imperial Japanese Army during the Battle of the Philippines (1942). The airfield was located near the village of Lucanin, south Lamao in Bataan Provience.|
|This former airfield had an extremely short life in its original role as a military airfield. According to Army Corps of Engineers documents,|
the Navy acquired 220 acres by lease for Hart Outlying Field in early 1942.
The Naval Air Advanced Training Command developed the site
and used it to support flight training operations in the Jacksonville area.Only nine months...