|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|HMS Plymouth is a Rothesay class frigate, which served in the United Kingdom Royal Navy from 1959 to 1988. She was named after the English city of Plymouth. Since decommissioning as a warship, HMS Plymouth has been preserved, and opened to the public at various United Kingdom ports.||12/17/2009||803|
|Plymouth's Royal Citadel was built in the late 1660s as King Charles II decided it was necessary after the Dutch Wars of 1664-67 to realise the importance of Plymouth as a channel port.||10/11/2005||438|
|William Bradford (c.1590 in The Manor House, Austerfield Ė c.1657) was an English Separatist leader in Leiden, Holland and in Plymouth Colony. He was a signatory to the Mayflower Compact and served as Plymouth Colony Governor five times covering about thirty years between 1621 and 1657. His journal 'Of Plymouth Plantation' covering the period from 1620 to 1657 in Plymouth Colony is an important...||11/19/2013||280|
|Smeatonís Tower is one of Plymouthís most prominent landmarks. Designed by John Smeaton, construction began in 1756 and was completed in 1759. For 123 years, it warned ships of the dangerous Eddystone Rocks located some 22 kilometers off the coast of Plymouth.||10/10/2005||456|
|The Chadwell Heath Anti Aircraft Battery was one of the largest purpose built AA sites protecting London during the Blitz of 1940-41.|
This battery held 8x 4.5inch guns, reflective of its importance as the last line of defence against enemy bombers heading to Dagenham and the London Docks.
The site was built in 1935 and the buildings are mostly of brick (with concrete render) and r...
|With the updated imagery in England, you can now see a total of 6 British Submarines stationed in Plymouth, England.||06/05/2007||917|
|Royal Navy's Barracks in Devonport Plymouth Devon UK All so know as Drake Barracks or H.M.S.Drake it is attached to H.M.Naval Dockyard Plymouth which is now the main Maintance Base for the Royal Navy Drake Barracks was also the home of the Devonport Field Gun Crew who used to take part in the inter command Field Gun competion which used to be held at the Royal Tourament at Earls Court in London...||02/13/2006||572|
|Drake's Island is a 2.6 ha island lying in Plymouth Sound. It was from here that Drake sailed in 1577 to return in 1580 having circumnavigated the world. In 1583 Drake was made governor of the island.||10/11/2005||489|
|This was never a fort, but after the German invasion the local population were excluded from all sensitive sites such as this and it became known as " The German Fort".|
On the same day that this region of France fell to the invading Germans they were seen surveying this site. (June 18th 1940) They needed a site on high ground on which to build a new and early form of radio guid...
|The first stone defences in Plymouth were those of the 15th century Plymouth Castle of which only a very small part of one tower remains near the Citadel. Previous to this the main local defences were at Plympton, but the importance of this castle faded as the River Plym silted up.|
In the first half of the 16th century six blockhouses were built along the shore. A fort was constr...
|The small white dots that form concentric circles are the remains of concrete blocks set into the ground and used to anchor the balloonís mooring cables.||12/08/2009||502|
Target type: marshalling yard
The main target was hit with poor results. One squadron bombed Fiume, Italy, Ship Yards (secondary target), also with poor results.