|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The gros ouvrage of Gordolon which was manned by 246 men is located close to the western bank of the River Vésubie at the end of a long dead end road off the D2565.Approaching the site the road becomes more overgrown and rutted and is eventually blocked by a fallen tree. |
The main entrance (Block 1) is a further 200 yards along the road.
Gordolon is on two levels w...
|Ouvrage Hochwald is an ouvrage of the Maginot Line. Located in the Fortified Sector of Haguenau in the community of Drachenbronn-Birlenbach, it was designed to protect the Northern Vosges region. The Ouvrage Hochwald is often considered as two separate ouvrages because of the anti-tank ditch separating the western and the eastern portions of the ouvrage, and is the largest of the Maginot ouvrag...||01/17/2010||493|
|Located on the right wing of the fortified area of Haguenau, the 'ouvrage' Schoenenbourg commanded all approaches from the north-east. In fact, in can be regarded as a pattern implementation of the mental image of a rather up-to-date achievement in those days. Indeed, it gathers all the main features arising from the experience acquired during the battles at Verdun (1916 to 1918), namely : the ...||02/08/2006||1,142|
|Before the beginning of the WWII French GHQ noticed (belatedly) that in case of a breakthrough of the front line on our northern border, there was no more |
means to defend Paris, as far as the old forts of 1874 being obsolete and no secondary line was completed.
To counter in the urgency in this, it was decided to build a belt of bunker (mainly for antitank purpose) in abo...
|1940 Maginot line forts and bunkers implementation sector by sector (exception for Sarre sector still incomplete).|
All names are in French.
Updated: 12.10.06 This is a fully reorganized file to allow permanent external update without reloading the KMZ each time.
|Mont Gros paragliding spot in French riviera.|
You can see the landing area on the beach.
|Noord Holland district fort |
Photo From http://www.vanuitdelucht.nl/
Additional information from SpiderX22:
This fort is part of the defence line of forts surrounding Amsterdam. The official page for this fort is: http://www.fortijmuiden.nl/fe_engels/hoofdframe.htm
There is an impressive amount of information there, and the website can be viewed in English, German, a...
|An ancient wonder in the Gros Ventre Mountain range, These lines indicating streets and avenues is part of a larger ancient city that was once located on top of this once large plateau. ||09/17/2010||512|
|Fort Lupin (also called Fort de la Charente) is located on the southern bank the Charente river, built on a rock midway between the river mouth and the first meander toward Rochefort. This position was very good one, allowing the guns of the fort to either enfilade the Charente against ships of the line trying to enter the river or to fire on the rear of any vessels having successfully passed t...||04/03/2007||357|
|Fortín de San Gerónimo del Boquerón (Fort Saint Jerome of the Large Entrance) is a small fort located in the entrance to what is known today as Condado, Puerto Rico lagoon in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was built during the 17th century to replace a smaller battery (called El Boquerón) that stood at the easternmost end of the San Juan islet. The original Boquerón battery defended San Juan from at...||01/30/2007||480|
|A Palmerton fort completed in 1864 as part of the inner line of defence of Milford Haven together with Hibberston Fort on the opposite bank. It is comrised of two batteries, Moncrieff battery on the west side and Open Battery on the north. Abandoned at the start of the 20th century it was used again during the Second World War. Bought in 1957 by BP to be used as an oil terminal it was renovated...||03/22/2006||463|
|The current Fort Moltrie is the third fort at this location. It is a brick fort built in 1809. It was modernized in the 1870s, with rifled cannon and concrete bunkers. Additional modernization in the 1880s turned all of Sullivan's Island into a military complex, of which the old fort was just a part.||03/16/2006||892|