RAF Fairlop was first used during the First World War as a Royal Naval Air Station Training School.
A small flying club used the site between the wars and there were plans to build a commercial airport, but these were later abandoned.
With WW2 a year old, construction of the concrete runways in the familiar "A" pattern started in September 1940 and were completed August 1941.
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.