|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|On the outskirts of the town at the edge of the camping site is a radio guidance bunker. The bunker is 130 meters above the sea. The system used here was the second generation of radio guidance called Y-Gerat. For an explanation of this system consult the pages on Fort Allemand. The aerial was mounted on the roof of the bunker and was rotated to its position on a rail, the supports of this rai...||01/15/2010||335|
|The village of La Pernelle was well favored by the Germans. Not only did they build two gun emplacements near the village, they also installed one of the largest |
"Coast Watcher” radar installations in the village. The choice was a simple one, the village sits high on hills just to the north of Quettehou, overlooking the eastern approaches of the Bay of the Seine.
|This radar station came under the jurisdiction of the Luftwaffe, and over 200 officers and enlisted men served here The power for the radar and associated equipment came from diesel generators housed in underground bunkers. The earliest radar installed here was the Freya, which was completed in the autumn of 1940 and could only give a two dimensional picture: i.e. just the distance of ships or ...||01/17/2010||478|
|Near the Hameau des Asselins lies the most interesting of German bunkers. This is a rare Mammut radar installation (named Gouesneraie), used not only for detecting shipping, but it also gave the range for the guns to either side of it. The bunker is quite a rare V143 type of which only four were built. The Mammut radar was called hoarding by the British, because of its size and shape. It sat o...||01/17/2010||413|
|This was never a fort, but after the German invasion the local population were excluded from all sensitive sites such as this and it became known as " The German Fort".|
On the same day that this region of France fell to the invading Germans they were seen surveying this site. (June 18th 1940) They needed a site on high ground on which to build a new and early form of radio guid...
|The radar station to the east of Pointe du Hoc mistaken as their landing place by Col Rudder and his Rangers on the morning of d-day.|
The is was German Navy Radar station named "Imme" and had a Wuzburg Riese a Freya and a Seetakt Gema installed on the site.
The site was extensively bombed around D-day and not much remains. The SK building that housed th...
|The Cathedrale St. Pierre was built between 1160 and 1232, but has been altered many times over the years.||09/05/2005||274|
|D+1: troops of the 82nd AD are securing St. Mere Eglise|
|Eglise et chateau de Cherves||04/05/2011||949|
|During World War II, Operation Detroit was the insertion, by parachute and glider, of the U.S. 82nd Airborne Division into Normandy on the night of 5–6 June 1944 as part of Operation Overlord. The drop zone for the 82nd Airborne was around Sainte-Mère-Église, to the west of Utah beach, intending to protect the western flank of the invasion. |
The objective of the division was to s...
|Skagen Radar Station|
The 2D Military radar has been operational since 1978 and is part of NATOs radar coverage program.
|One very unique structure related to the Wizernes project is in the small French place of Roquetoire, about 8-9 km away from the small town Wizernes and southeast from St. Omer. In this fortress-like concrete structure (medium sized compared to other German works), there was established an ultramodern, ground-based, radio beam remote V2 guidance system. The system received the code name "U...||01/15/2010||657|