|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|On the outskirts of the town at the edge of the camping site is a radio guidance bunker. The bunker is 130 meters above the sea. The system used here was the second generation of radio guidance called Y-Gerat. For an explanation of this system consult the pages on Fort Allemand. The aerial was mounted on the roof of the bunker and was rotated to its position on a rail, the supports of this rai...||01/15/2010||354|
|Erika was a late development in radio guidance, and came too late to have much effect on the German’s war effort. They had started with Knickebein, then progressed to X-Gerat and Y-Gerat, all of which were far superior to anything the Allies had at that time. The only problem with this system was the large number of bunkers needed which allowed the planes of the RAF to spot the installations. E...||01/15/2010||501|
|This Batterie which overlooked both the Omaha and Utah landing beaches was equipped with six 155 mm type K418 guns. These guns would have had a range of approximately 22 kms and could have inflicted damage to the Allied ships at both the American landing beaches. |
Only two of the Casemates were finished by D-day, but the guns not installed..
These were of the type H671. The Fire ...
|The village of La Pernelle was well favored by the Germans. Not only did they build two gun emplacements near the village, they also installed one of the largest |
"Coast Watcher” radar installations in the village. The choice was a simple one, the village sits high on hills just to the north of Quettehou, overlooking the eastern approaches of the Bay of the Seine.
|This radar station came under the jurisdiction of the Luftwaffe, and over 200 officers and enlisted men served here The power for the radar and associated equipment came from diesel generators housed in underground bunkers. The earliest radar installed here was the Freya, which was completed in the autumn of 1940 and could only give a two dimensional picture: i.e. just the distance of ships or ...||01/17/2010||497|
|Near the Hameau des Asselins lies the most interesting of German bunkers. This is a rare Mammut radar installation (named Gouesneraie), used not only for detecting shipping, but it also gave the range for the guns to either side of it. The bunker is quite a rare V143 type of which only four were built. The Mammut radar was called hoarding by the British, because of its size and shape. It sat o...||01/17/2010||445|
|This was never a fort, but after the German invasion the local population were excluded from all sensitive sites such as this and it became known as " The German Fort".|
On the same day that this region of France fell to the invading Germans they were seen surveying this site. (June 18th 1940) They needed a site on high ground on which to build a new and early form of radio guid...
|The 2d Ranger Battalion at Pointe du Hoc, 6 June (Photograph 15 June 1944)||09/04/2005||1,100|
|Skagen Radar Station|
The 2D Military radar has been operational since 1978 and is part of NATOs radar coverage program.
|One very unique structure related to the Wizernes project is in the small French place of Roquetoire, about 8-9 km away from the small town Wizernes and southeast from St. Omer. In this fortress-like concrete structure (medium sized compared to other German works), there was established an ultramodern, ground-based, radio beam remote V2 guidance system. The system received the code name "U...||01/15/2010||690|
|The First Pirate Radio Station and Still around goto the web site at www.radiocaroline.co.uk and listen to radio caroline||01/24/2008||393|
|The Jodrell Bank Observatory (originally the Jodrell Bank Experimental Station, then the Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories from 1966-1999) is located near Congleton, Cheshire in the northwest of England. The observatory is part of the University of Manchester and has played an important role in the research of quasars and pulsars. In 1979, scientists at Jodrell Bank announced the first dete...||08/02/2005||1,261|