|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Ailsa Craig (Scottish Gaelic: Creag Ealasaid) is an island in the outer Firth of Clyde, Scotland where granite was quarried to make curling stones. "Ailsa" is pronounced "ale-sa", with the first syllable stressed. The now uninhabited island is formed from the volcanic plug of an extinct volcano.|
The island was a haven for Catholics during the Scottish Reformation in the 16th cent...
|The Royal Caledonian Curling Club (RCCC) is the mother club of the sport of curling, and the governing body of the sport in Scotland. The RCCC was founded on 25 July 1838 in Edinburgh, and granted its royal charter by Queen Victoria in 1843, after she had witnessed a demonstration of the sport played on the polished ballroom floor of Scone Palace the previous year. (Source: Wikipedia)||02/27/2006||562|
|A large stone circle in the Grampian region of Scotland. The recumbent stone circle has a large stone slab aligned to the SSW, in line with the major southern moonset, flanked by two tall stones (known as flankers) with the rest of the stones in the circle being graded in size around to the smallest opposite the recumbent. There is a ring cairn within the circle.|
The stone circle is thou...
|The VW factory in Brussels, one of the main factory of the company in Europe, where firsts vehicules of new models are assembled (before being assembled in other countries on a larger scale)||01/29/2006||517|
|It was on this airfield of the Messerschmitt Factory Augsburg-Haunstetten on May 10th. 1941, at about 6:00 P.M. that Rudolf Hess took off in a Messerschmitt Bf 110, Messerschmitt to his famous flight to Scotland.|
Today the area is a part of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS).
Some of the airfield is still visible.
|Strichen Stone Circle is a small Megalithic period stone circle located in the north east of Scotland, near to Strichen, Aberdeenshire.|
The circle has been destroyed at least twice: once by a tenant farmer who was ordered to put it back in place by his landlord.
It has been restored as recently as the 1980s.
Various-sized pieces of quartz can be foun...
| Balgarthno Stone Circle, also known as 'Farm of Corn', is a scheduled ancient monument, and measures 6.1m in diameter. Only one stone still stands and is 1.6m tall by 1.5m wide by 0.7m thick. There is evidence of a slight ditch around the circle, which appears to stand on a slight mound.|
Balgarthno Stone Circle is part of a larger arrangement which included the circle at Mylnfield and ...
|From 1933 to 1945, Blohm & Voss also operated the Hamburger Flugzeugbau aircraft company. Although initially given the factory code Ha (for the factory's official name), the link with Blohm & Voss shipyards proved too strong and therefore the early aircraft designs were called "Blohm & Voss, type Ha..." followed by the design number. To end this confusion, in 1938 the Reic...||11/24/2009||1,382|
|Message of Rio Tinto Brick Company on top of factory in Melbourne, Australia.||10/04/2005||294|
|A large number of the original cars are still on the road after over 25 years; most estimates put it at 6,500 cars surviving out of just over 9,000 built. There is an active enthusiast community around the cars, with strong owners' clubs. A number of businesses were set up after the demise of the DeLorean Motor Company to provide parts and service, and most of those are still in existence. In p...||09/26/2009||775|
|Site of the DeLorean Motor Company (DMC) factory, built in 1980.|
The famous DeLorean DMC-12 was built here.
(DeLorean, see: Back to the Future 1, 2, 3 and this Wikipedia article.)
|Construction of these factory buildings began in 1937, as a result of a business partnership between Sir Maurice Denny, Managing Director of the Dumbarton firm Denny Shipbuilders, and Robert Blackburn, of Yorkshire's Blackburn Aeroplane and Motor Company. The site on which the factory stood was called Barge Park; completed machines would be taken across the River Clyde by barge to Abbotsinch ai...||01/29/2010||522|