The scrapping of ships is taking place at several sites along the coast of Bangladesh. The area of Fauzdarhat, a 16-km beach situated approximately 20-km south-west of Chittagong, is undoubtedly the most important. Parallel ship-breaking activities taking place here, represent the second largest facility in the world with respect to the numbers of vessels being scrapped. In size (no. of vessels...
Wreck of the ship in Kiel, photgraphed shortly after the war.
From July 1945
Work on breaking up the wreck began under the supervision of the British authorities. All valuable metals and the gunhouses and turrets were removed before the bare torso of the ship was abandoned where she lay.
When work commenced on the new naval arsenal, the remains were covere...
Vertical aerial photograph, taken 27 October 1941.
The larger ship docked at the Navy Yard (in the right side of the image) is USS Canopus (AS-9), with two destroyers flanking the nearby pier. Six motor torpedo boats (PT) are tied up to the pier in upper right center.
The MS Wuerttemberg or also SD Wuerttemberg is a ship museum converted side wheel steamers in Magdeburg.
The SD Wuerttemberg was built in the Rosslauer dockyard of brothers Sachsenberg 1908/1909. The ship was then on the Elbe for the Neue Deutsch-Boehmi Elbschiffahrt AG Dresden in use.
In World War II it was damaged by a low flier attack and a fire on the Dresden-Laubega...
Additional information from clems 37:
The third USNS Mercy (T-AH-19) is a hospital ship in the United States Navy. She was named for the virtue of compassion. In accordance to the Geneva Conventions, USNS Mercy and her crew do not carry any armament. Firing on the Mercy is considered a war crime.
Mercy was built as an oil tanker, SS Wor...
USS Williamsburg was a US Navy gunboat, a former private yacht, that served as a presidential yacht from 1945 to 1953.
Williamsburg remained at Norfolk into November undergoing conversion. The ship then sailed for the Washington Navy Yard where, on November 5, 1945, she relieved Potomac as presidential yacht and, on 10 November 1945, erstwhile gunboat was re-designated AGC-369. ...
The BARC (barge, amphibious, resupply, cargo), later designated as the LARC LX (Lighter, Amphibious, Resupply, Cargo), could carry 60 tons of cargo, and was used to transport wheeled and tracked vehicles, including beach preparation equipment and general cargo from ship to shore or to inland transfer points. It was the only amphibian in the Army inventory capable of landing on a beach through b...
Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way
"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.