|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Stalag Luft 6 was by far the most northern German WW II POW camp. On lists with POW camps it is always indicated as having been open from 06/'43-07/'44, but this camp has a much longer history. It was built in 1939 as Stalag 1C. The first prisoners were of Polish nationality. In 1940 French and Belgian prisoners were brought to the camp and in 1941 also Russian prisoners.|
It is o...
|Opened: From August until September 1944. Temporary POW Camp to replace the original Stalag Luft VI, which was closed in July 1944 after complains by Red Cross.|
Camp Description: In summer 1944, Stalag Luft 6 far away in the East was closed, not only because of complaints from the International Red Cross but also because of the Russian pressure against the Germans along the Russi...
|Stalag Luft 1 was situated at Barth, Germany, a small town on the Baltic Sea 23 kilometers northwest of Stralsund. |
Stalag Luft One opened as a camp for British officers late in 1942, American Airmen began to arrive early in 1943. By January 1944, the camp had been split into two compounds each with seven barracks, the South (Officers) and the West (Enlisted men). As the numbers ...
|The camp area is marked by a white line. |
The largest German WW II POW camp was Stalag VII-A at Moosburg, Germany. Over 110,000 allied soldiers were imprisoned there. It was liberated by the U.S. 14th Armored Division following a short battle with SS soldiers of the 17th SS Panzer Grenadier Division on 29 April, 1945.
More information and pictures here:
|This aerial photo of Stalag VIIA and Moosburg in Bavaria was taken by a U.S. reconnaissance aircraft.|
Stalag VIIA was a disaster. It was a nest of small compounds separated by barbed wire fences enclosing old, dilapidated barracks crammed closely together. Reportedly, the camp had been built to hold 14,000 French prisoners. In the end, 130,000 POWs of all nationalities and ranks ...
|Stalag Luft III was a German prisoner of war camp during World War II that housed captured air force personnel and was operated by the German Luftwaffe. It was located near Sagan, now Żagań in Poland, 100 miles (160 km) southeast of Berlin. The site is best known because of two famous prisoner escapes that took place there. The first, in 1943, was recorded in the book and film "The Wo...||02/27/2006||1,469|
|Camp des Milles was a French internment camp, opened in September 1939, in a former factory. The camp was first used to intern Germans and Austrians, and by June 1940, some 3,500 people were detained here.|
Between 1941 and 1942 Le Camp des Milles was used as a transit camp for Jews before deportation. About 2,000 of the inmates were shipped off to the Drancy camp on the way to Au...
|The Camp de Rivesaltes is a military camp in France (also called camp Joffre) located on the territory of the commune of Rivesaltes in Pyrénées-Orientales in the South of France. The camp was also used for interning several civil populations from 1939 to 2007. The darkest period of the camp was in 1942 when 2251 Jews, including 110 children of the Rivesaltes Camp were transferred via the Drancy...||08/21/2009||259|
|At Springhirsch near Kaltenkirchen was from August 1944 to April 1945 a satellite camp of concentration camp Neuengamme. |
The prisoners had to construct a military airport.
About 700 of them died in this camp.
Some remains of the camp are still visible. There is also a small museum and a memorial.
|Salaspils concentration camp was established at the end of 1941 at a point 18 km southeast of Riga,in the country of Latvia. The Nazi bureaucracy drew distinctions between different types of camps. Officially, Salaspils was a Police Prison and Work Education Camp (Polezeigegfängnis und Arbeitserziehungslager). It was also known as camp Kurtenhof after the German name for the city of Salaspils. ...||01/05/2010||362|
|Ravensbrück was a notorious women's concentration camp during in World War II, located in northern Germany, 90 km north of Berlin at a site near the village of Ravensbrück (part of Fürstenberg/Havel). Construction of the camp began in November 1938 by SS leader Heinrich Himmler and was unusual in that it was a camp primarily for women. The camp opened in May 1939. In the spring of 1941, the SS ...||08/10/2007||2,211|
|A reconnaissance picture of the concentration camp Dachau near Munich made during WWII.|
In total, over 200,000 prisoners from more than 30 countries were housed in Dachau. Beginning in 1941, Dachau was also used for extermination purposes. Camp records list 30,000 persons killed in the camp, with thousands more who died due to the conditions in the camp. In early 1945, there was ...