Schiffswerft und Maschinenfrabrik Blohm & Voss (Shipyard and Machinery Factory Blohm & Voss) was founded 5. April 1877. The shipyard was later called Blohm & Voss AG and today it is called Blohm + Voss GmbH.
From 1933 to 1945, Blohm & Voss also operated the Hamburger Flugzeugbau aircraft company. Although initially given the factory code Ha (for the factory's official name), the link with Blohm & Voss shipyards proved too strong and therefore the early aircraft designs were called "Blohm & Voss, type Ha..." followed by the design number. To end this confusion, in 1938 the Reic...
Near the Jean Dolidierweg in the “Vierlanden” area near the hamlet of Neuengamme, not too far from Hamburg, you will find the remnants of the concentration camp Neuengamme. Today only a few buildings and some factory plants remain of what was once one of the largest camps of North Germany.
The SS have build a concentration camp at that site of a old closed brick factory, where also brick...
During the scuttling of the German High Seas Fleet in Scapa Flow on 21 June 1919, not all of the ships were successfully sunk. One of these, the destroyer B98, was subsequently towed away but as she was passing Sanday, the tow line broke and she ran aground in the Bay of Lopness. Today, her turbines and boilers are still clearly visible from the beach at low tide.
The Savarona is the first of several large yachts built by Blohm + Voss. Her elegant lines and the luxurious interior - unparalleled in those days - draw much attention all over the world when she was handed over to the American owner in 1931. In 1935-36 a contract had been signed to sell it to Hitler but Republic of Turkey managed to purchase it in 1938.
The musical theatre of the German "Lion King" in Hamburg, Germany.
It's located directly at the river Elbe and lies in the harbour-area of Hamburg.
Most of the visitors use a ferry-shuttle service from the other side of the river to the theatre.