|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Belas Knap is a neolithic long barrow, situated on Cleeve Hill, near Cheltenham and Winchcombe, in Gloucestershire, England. It is in the care of English Heritage. "Belas" is possibly derived from the Latin word bellus, 'beautiful', which could describe the hill or its view. "Knap" is derived from the Old English for the top, crest, or summit of a hill.|
|The Golm (69 m) is the highest hill on the Usedom-island. On this hill started in 1944 a German military cemetery (Kriegsgräberstätte) with more than 1250 killed soldiers of the army, navy and air force.|
On 12 March 1945 the harbour-city Swinemünde, filled with wounded and refugees, was destroyed by 671 American bombers. About 20,000 people were killed and most of them were burie...
|Borough Hill Roman villa is located on the north tip of Borough Hill, a prominent hill near the town of Daventry in Northamptonshire. The villa’s remains lie within the ramparts of an Iron Age fortress which covers the summit of the hill. The remains of the Roman villa were discovered in 1823 by the historian and archaeologist George Baker, who identified Borough Hill with the Benaventa of the ...||10/21/2009||265|
|Maiden Castle is an Iron Age hill fort 2.5 kilometres (1.6 mi) south of Dorchester, in the English county of Dorset. Hill forts were fortified hill-top settlements constructed across Britain during the Iron Age. The name Maiden Castle may be a modern construction meaning that the hill fort looks impregnable, or it could derive from the British Celtic mai-dun, meaning a "great hill".
|This German war cemetery is the cemetery of POW-camp 242. There are more than 700 graves from the Second World War. The war cemetery is located on Gorlovka city cemetery.|
|The West Kennet Long Barrow is a Neolithic tomb or barrow, situated on a prominent chalk ridge, near Silbury Hill, one-and-a-half miles south of Avebury in Wiltshire. The site was recorded by John Aubrey in the 17th century and by William Stukeley in the 18th century.
Archaeologists classify it as a chambered long barrow and one of the Severn-Cotswold tombs. It has two pairs of opposing t...
|Maiden Castle is an Iron Age hill fort, one of many fortified hill-top settlements constructed across Britain during the Iron Age, but one of only seven in the county of Cheshire in northern England. The hill fort was probably occupied from its construction in 600 BC until the Roman conquest of Britain in the 1st century AD. Since then it has been quarried and used for military exercises. It is...||01/05/2010||216|
|Grønsalen or Grønjægers Høj is located near Fanefjord Church on the Danish island of Møn. Some 100 meters long and 10 meters wide, it is Denmark's largest long barrow and is widely recognised as one of Europe's outstanding ancient monuments.|
|This German war cemetery forms a part of Kharkov cemetery. The war cemetery is set up for bringing German war graves of this region together. At the end of 2008, there were 38,927 graves on this war cemetery. At the end there will be about 40,000 graves.|
|Klekkende Høj is a megalithic tomb on the island of Møn in Denmark. It takes its name near the village of Klekkende. Høj, from the Old Norse word haugr, means hill, mound or barrow.|
|Castleshaw Roman fort was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. Although there is no evidence to substantiate the claim, it has been suggested that Castleshaw Roman fort is the site of Rigodunum, a Brigantian settlement. The remains of the fort are located on Castle Hill on the eastern side of Castleshaw Valley at the foot of Standedge but overlooking the valley. The hill is on the edge of...||11/03/2009||240|
|This German war cemetery, next to Jöhvi Communal Cemetery, contains about 3,000 graves of soldiers who were killed at the Narwa-front in summer 1944.|