|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The Jacques Cartier Bridge is a steel truss cantilever bridge crossing the Saint Lawrence River in Montreal.||09/29/2005||417|
|Saint-Malo during the Middle Ages was a fortified island at the mouth of the Rance River, controlling not only the estuary but the open sea beyond. The promontory fort of Alet, south of the modern centre in what is now the Saint-Servan district, commanded approaches to the Rance even before the Romans, but modern Saint-Malo traces its origins to a monastic settlement founded by Saint Aaron and ...||07/21/2006||514|
|Jacques Cartier (December 31, 1491 – September 1, 1557) was a French explorer who claimed what is now Canada for France. He was the first European to describe and map the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and the shores of the Saint Lawrence River, which he named "The Country of Canadas", after the Iroquois names for the two big settlements he saw at Stadacona (Quebec City) and at Hochelaga (Montreal I...||10/28/2009||418|
|An aerial reconnaissance picture made by USAF during WWII.|
This picture shows the heavy damage caused by air-raids in 1944 and 1945. About 87% of the city was destroyed.
The left of the two bridges in the north of the pic is a railroad-bridge crossing the River Mosel, the right one is the Balduin bridge, the one of the oldest river-crossing-site of Koblenz.
There are three main crossing points on the border:
1. the northern Erez Crossing into Israel,
2. the southern Rafah Crossing into Egypt,
3. the eastern Karni Crossing used only for cargo.
Other cargo crossing points are the Keren Shalom Crossing on the border with Egypt and the Sufa Crossing.
|Snow and ice serve to accent human activities in this photograph taken by the Space Shuttle mission STS-98.The Souris River stretches across the photograph from left to right, with the upstream Rafferty Dam Reservoir frozen over on the far left. Two power plants, the Boundary Dam Power Station and the Shand Power Station, can be identified by the smoke plumes and shadows of those plumes. The ri...||10/30/2005||533|
|Elbe Crossing 2 is a group of pylons providing overhead lines for four 380kV three phase AC current circuits across the River Elbe. It was constructed between 1976 and 1978 to supplement Elbe Crossing 1, and consists of 4 masts: |
* A 76 meter tall anchor pylon located in Lower Saxony, on the Elbe's southern banks.
* Two carrying pylons, each 227 meters tall. One i...
|The Itaipu Hydroelectric Power Plant, largest in operation in the world, is a binational undertaking developed by Brazil and Paraguay in the Paraná River. The installed power of the plant is 12,600 MW (megawatts), with 18 generator units of 700 MW each.||07/13/2005||2,200|
|Lawrence Livermore National Labratory, Livermore, California. |
The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is a United States Department of Energy national laboratory, managed by the University of California, in Livermore, California. Along with Los Alamos National Laboratory, it is one of the USA's two laboratories whose mission has included the design of nuclear weapons.
|The first Catholic Church in Lydiate was built in 1480 and dedicated to St Katherine, the patron saint of the wife of Lawrence Ireland, who lived at Lydiate Hall. The church is now a ruin and is simply known locally as “The Abbey” ||03/15/2006||338|
|Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant is located in Central Ukraine near the city of Zaporizhia, on the banks of the Kakhovka Reservoir on the Dnipro river. It has 6 VVER-1000 pressurized light water nuclear reactors, each with a power rating of 950 MWe, with total power output of 5700 MWe. The first five were successively brought online between 1985 and 1989, and the sixth was added in 1995. The pl...||11/21/2008||736|
|(Castelo de Paderne) is in Algarve, Portugal. |
This hill fort was built by the Moors in the second half of the 12th Century.
Its is eight kilometers (five miles) from the Algarve resort of Albufeira, on a River Quarteira bend close to the village and civil parish of Paderne. It is 7.5 km (4.7 miles) north from the coast.
The castle is one of seven ...