|Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|On October 6, 1777, a combined force of roughly 2,100 Loyalists, Hessians and British regulars led by Lieutenant General Sir Henry Clinton attacked Forts Montgomery and Clinton from the landward side (which was only partially completed) with support from cannon fire from British ships on the Hudson River. By the end of the day, both forts had fallen to the British who burned the forts and tore ...||10/10/2005||650|
|The Battle of White Plains was an inconclusive meeting on October 28, 1776 in the American Revolutionary War. General William Howe's British army, with Hessian support was completing their occupation of New York and its environs. George Washington had withdrawn to the high ground near the village of White Plains.||09/04/2005||893|
|In 1775 Governor Jonathan Trumbull recommended the building of a fortification at the port of New London to protect the seat of the government of Connecticut. Built on a rocky point of land near the mouth of the Thames River on Long Island Sound, the fort was completed in 1777 and named for Governor Trumbull, who served from 1769 to 1784. In 1781 during the American Revolutionary War, the fort ...||04/23/2007||683|
|Two overlay maps (Boston Harbor, including Dorchester Heights and Castle Island; and Charlestown Neck, displaying the Battle of Bunker Hill) as well as placemarks denoting important sites in Revolutionary Boston and environs.||08/24/2005||775|
|Fort Ward is a former Union Army installation now located in the city of Alexandria in the U.S. state of Virginia. It was the fifth largest fort built to defend Washington, D.C. in the American Civil War. It is currently well-preserved with 90-95% of its earthen walls intact. |
The fort is now a part of the City of Alexandria's 45-acre (18-ha) Fort Ward Mueseum and Historic Site a...
|The Battle of Long Island, also known as the Battle of Brooklyn, took place on August 27, 1776. On August 22, Admiral The Earl Howe, in supreme command of British forces in New York, ordered his troops to move against the Continental Army at dawn. The American outpost under Colonel Edward Hand sent word to Lieutenant General George Washington that the British were preparing to cross to Long Isl...||09/04/2005||732|
|The British Fort William Henry on the shores of Lake George, New York, was built during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) by Sir William Johnson as a staging ground for attacks against the French Fort Carillon (later renamed Fort Ticonderoga). It was part of a chain of British and French forts along the important inland waterway from New York City to Quebec. Fort William Henry was named for...||12/11/2005||480|
|A landlocked, 220 foot vertical-beam sidewheel steamship. It is the last one of it's kind. Currently located at the Shelburne Museum in Shelburne, VT. The steamship Ticonderoga, launched in 1906 from a yard at Shelburne Point.||08/29/2006||628|
|Completed in 1891, the Bennington Battle Monument is a stone obelisk structure that stands 306 feet tall. The monument was built to commemorate the Revolutionary War Battle of Bennington. It is the tallest structure in the state of Vermont.||08/21/2007||552|
|The Battle of Verdun was a major battle of the Western Front in World War I. The battle was fought between the German and French armies between February 21 and 19 December 1916 around Verdun-sur-Meuse in northeast France. It resulted in more than a quarter of a million deaths and about half a million wounded. It was the longest battle of World War I, and the second bloodiest after the battle of...||08/03/2005||990|
|On July 15, 1779 General Anthony Wayne and his men attacked a British fortification located on the peninsula at Stony Point. The peninsula, situated on the west bank of the Hudson River about 10 miles (16 k.) south of West Point and 35 miles (56 k.) north of New York City was the western terminus of the King's ferry. Wayne, marching south from the West Point area, split his forces into three se...||10/10/2005||631|
|The earliest forts were built to protect the colonists. As Portsmouth Harbor's importance increased with its Revolutionary War shipbuilding industry and the establishment of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in 1800, additional fortification was needed. |
At Jerry's Point there is evidence of earthwork fortification, circa 1842, and a stonework fort, circa 1873. Following the Spanish ...