PDA

View Full Version : Feature request (territories create their own armies)

birq
08-14-2005, 02:31 AM
I tried searching to see if this had alread been suggested, but I couldn't find anything. I apologize if it has.

How about a feature a la Risk where armies are spontaneously created based on territories held? A large city (Beijing, for example) would create, say, 24 armies per day, while a smaller one (El Paso, for example) would create a bunch fewer per day?

Or, instead of creating them per day, per hour. If you hold Beijing for 24 hours, you get all 24 armies, but if you only hold it for 3 hours, you get 3. If you take the city and only end up holding it for 59 minutes and 59.9 seconds, you don't get any additional armies.

birq
08-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Or instead of armies, the territories create jewels.

Bastian
08-14-2005, 02:43 AM
or you can build jewel mines in your cities, that create, lets say, 1 jewel per hour and cost 100 jewels. and if the city is occupied by an enemy, than the enemy will get the jewel mine. and the bigger the city, the more mines you can build...

Mickey
08-14-2005, 02:58 AM
I like the ideas. While I'm trying to avoid anything time based (as it would involve CRON jobs and other messy stuff), I'm also seeing the growing need to reward people for the length of time that they've held a city.

I think I'll start by simply tracking that info, then we can add rewards for it as time goes on.

birq
08-14-2005, 03:10 AM
I just like being able to throw difficult-to-implement, pain-in-the-butt suggestions out there that I don't have to develop :D

Mickey
08-14-2005, 03:19 AM
I just like being able to throw difficult-to-implement, pain-in-the-butt suggestions out there that I don't have to develop :D

I've noticed - thanks. :)

rasqual
08-14-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm a bit concerned about suggestions that assume the perpetuity of "jewels" as the coin of the realm. So far we have selling magazines, mining jewels, and so forth.

Folks, Google Earth is about REALITY. Planet Earth. Our world, with its diverse ecosystems, economies, politics, technologies, religions, and so forth. For the first time in recent memory, a virtual world with real terrain, data layers, dynamic layers, and tons of REAL WORLD stuff is available to park a game on, and yet the imaginings I'm seeing here are about expanding a world of jewels.

It's fine as a starting place to get people thinking. But not THINKING ABOUT JEWELS. Let's please, please not suggest ways to come up with even more convoluted ways to GET JEWELS. Please! Why would anyone put mental energy into coming up with elaborate schemes to make jewels so much a part of the economy of this game, when that same energy could be better put to use making this game worthy of -- EARTH!

If I'm over-reacting, it's to make a point. The potential here is amazing. But think of it this way. If this group doesn't develop this game into something serious and deep enough to elicit low whistles from people when they find out about it, someone else will. And when they do, there won't be anyone here playing a game that stays about jewels, gets more involved with jewels, and keeps people discussing cunning ways to work with jewels.

I don't want to offend anyone, but please. There has to be some discontent with anything that's short of excellent. Nothing wrong with starting somewhere, having some fun, and moving on. But to imagine that the game's necessary and only direction for an economy of provisioning armies is already so set in stone that we might as well think only of jewels . . . . !

</rant> ;-)

rasqual
08-14-2005, 04:28 AM
I agree that holding populated territories means getting armies. But how about also not keeping re-enlistment quotas where you want 'em when the generals in the field make tactical blunders all the time and lose a lot of armies? In other words, unless you're a dictatorship, people just won't be enlisting if the casualties are horrendous.

As for time issues, it'd be interesting if this were a real time game. Seriously. So it takes you three weeks to effect a troop movement -- so what? If any huge strategic move can be done in just a few minutes' time, then no one will have time to put thought into what they're doing, and play won't be satisfying.

LMAO -- I just thought of a perfect name for the game if you want lawsuits from the world's looniest nut jobs.

http://www.battlefieldearth.com/index.htm

;-)

Mickey
08-14-2005, 04:51 AM
You make some great points. I'm all for making jewels a less important part of the game, but here's the deal.

I want people to be able to put time into the game (if they want) in order to build up a larger, more powerful army. It only makes sense. No one wants to spend hours building up their armies and have some newbie come in and wipe them out. With the current jewel system, we cover that - at least a little bit.

I think our next move needs to be figuring out how to handle a "home base" kind of thing (like we're discussing here (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979)), for a few reasons:
- To be able to attack those "pool" armies.
- To be able to calculate how long it will take to attack a city. If they have their armies in a home base, we can figure out if they can attack xx city in 2 hours or if it'll take 3 weeks.