Mexicali, Mexico
Havana, Cuba
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Bogota, Colombia
Cairo, Egypt
Delhi, India
Baghdad, Iraq

I added all of them except for Mexicali, as it's too close to Tijuana and things could start looking messy down there. Tijuana is already bumped up against Los Angeles, and I just couldn't throw another one into the mix.

Anyhow, thanks!

Mickey

cheakerdoodels
08-14-2005, 05:08 AM
Salt Lake city, Utah
Phoenix, Arizona
Kansas city, Kansas
To fill in the gaps.

Wellington, New Zealand
Because it's cool.

araT
08-14-2005, 05:23 AM
Why did you start a new thread for this? we already have enough threads running suggesting new cities. - I'll merge this one onto the others.

But thankyou for the suggestions,you have some nice cities there, I'm sure Mickey will get around to adding these to the ever-expanding list :)

T.

cheakerdoodels
08-14-2005, 05:30 AM
I wasn't sure if I was suppose to make a new thread or not. Because there didn't seem to be a main request thread.

cheakerdoodels
08-15-2005, 01:25 AM
One last question. Is a cities value the exact same as it's population or just relative to it.

Mickey
08-15-2005, 01:53 AM
One last question. Is a cities value the exact same as it's population or just relative to it.

Exact same. However, I look up the populations myself when I add the city and use the number I find, just for the sake of consistency.

Mickey
08-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Salt Lake city, Utah
Phoenix, Arizona
Kansas city, Kansas
Wellington, New Zealand

All set. The only change was that I added Kansas City, Missouri, rather than Kansas City, Kansas, as it's a larger city.

araT
08-15-2005, 03:35 AM
Exact same. However, I look up the populations myself when I add the city and use the number I find, just for the sake of consistency.

Mickey, how come Sydney is 146,229 then? Sydney is the largest city in the world land-wise and has a population of ~9 million.. ??

T.

felipeboralli
08-15-2005, 03:36 AM
Marrakech, Morocco
Cape Town, South Africa
Lagos, Nigeria
Vladivostok, Russia
Taipei, Taiwan
Kiev, Ukraine
Bangkok, Thailand
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Jakarta, Indonesia

Mickey
08-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Marrakech, Morocco
Cape Town, South Africa
Lagos, Nigeria
Vladivostok, Russia
Taipei, Taiwan
Kiev, Ukraine
Bangkok, Thailand
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Jakarta, Indonesia

Great suggestions- very diverse! They're all in there now.

Mickey
08-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Mickey, how come Sydney is 146,229 then? Sydney is the largest city in the world land-wise and has a population of ~9 million.. ??

That's because I'm going with the official city population numbers - not the full metro regions. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney), there are 146,000 in the city, but 4.3 million in the metro area.

Using this same logic, many of the cities in the US are smaller than they should. I think as long as it's consistent, it'll work.

Agree with the logic, or not?

araT
08-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Mickey, there are more than 146,000 in my suburb alone.. i presume whoever put the population in for the "city" literally only counted the CBD (central business district - noone lives there), the population of inner sydney was 4 million in 1996, not sure what it is now.. greater sydney is 9 million.. (but thats including Parramatta and other smaller cities that run right into sydney now - just like Los Angeles & San Francisco are about to)

heres an Australian Government link, I'd trust these guys more than wikipedia, where any silly person can enter whatever figures they like.

- Australian Government Geosience Dept. - Sydney Facts (http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/capital/nw.htm)

- Australian Census - 1996 (http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/d3310108.nsf/0/569af0d15c2201964a2565010007a32f?OpenDocument&Start=1&Count=1000&ExpandView)

But yes, generally i agree with your logic, just in this case wikipedia was very VERY wrong.. it would be like telling me Toronto is in Mexico.

T.

Mickey
08-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Mickey, there are more than 146,000 in my suburb alone.. i presume whoever put the population in for the "city" literally only counted the CBD (central business district - noone lives there), the population of inner sydney was 4 million in 1996, not sure what it is now..

Good enough for me. Sydney now has a much greater value in GEwar

araT
08-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Thankyou :D

I've been talking to a few other sydneysiders around about this.. we figured out where the confusion muddled us up.. there is actually a suburb within sydney called "sydney", its referred to as the CBD, but the actual suburb is "sydney" so i presume thats where Wiki got its facts wrong ;)

T.

aquastor
08-15-2005, 04:41 AM
...but thats including Parramatta and other smaller cities that run right into sydney now - just like Los Angeles & San Francisco are about to)....
Uh...just for the record, we're still 420 miles from the closest parts of LA, and there's a *lot* of empty space in-between.... :)

Ricky1146@gmail.com
08-15-2005, 08:33 AM
My hometown and my girlfriends hometown Monroe, Michiganm Taylor Michigan, Adrian Michigan,

rasqual
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
??

"Too close?"

Hopefully, proximity won't become a reason you CAN'T attack something, at some point in the future of the game.

At some point, you have to stop manually entering cities. The game will never scale. You have to let people specify what city they want to take, and by golly they take it. Seriously. I mean, I should be able to type into Earth, "sioux falls, sd", go there, and take possession.How would I take possession? You park a "utility widget" in the middle of my viewport all the time. All the time. Or maybe a bit off to the side of center. By opening the balloon, I can do a lot of stuff, including taking over whatever city I'm centered on.

Set this up and all these requests die, and military possession of an area becomes more natural. Then make possession directly proportional to the number of troops in an area, so the extrusion varies in size (its area, regardless of shape, would bear a relation to the troop strength).

I realize I'd suggested considering how many forces it takes to occupy a given region be dependant on urban population and population density as well, but without demographics for cities -- which you're entering manually now -- you couldn't do that. You also couldn't assign "value." But frankly, just now, I'd abandon "value" entirely for the benfit of exploring the prospect of letting people decide for themselves where they want to occupy. During this phase of discovery you could code for a simple rule: occupations can't overlap. Under such a circumstance, it's simple to imagine several different armies all in one urban area with suburbs.

I'd think 1000 troops would be holding down no more than 100 square miles. But I guess that depends on what you imagine they're doing.

Tokto
08-15-2005, 10:22 AM
More cities in Asia and Africa !

Especially China Japan and India. These 3 countries have many enormous amount of population.

freakybarry
08-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Edinburgh, scotland
cardiff, wales

thank you please :D

on the note of city creation, could new users not by default have a base citiy created. this would be unattackle for 2 days.
if city generated cash, dependant on population then there would be so much jewel hunting required, and hence more reward for capturing a city
(sorry, should have posted this elsewhere perhaps?)

Mickey
08-15-2005, 11:50 AM
on the note of city creation, could new users not by default have a base citiy created.

This is something I'd like to add very soon. However, this is something that needs to be done automatically - I certainly can't manually add every base camp into the game.

I have some ideas, but they still need to be worked out a bit more. This will happen fairly soon...

birq
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I was talking with Scandanavia over the weekend, and they feel very underrepresented :)

Stockholm, Sweden
Copenhagen, Denmark
Oslo, Norway
Reyjkavik, Iceland

worldwind
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Helsinki, Finnland
Bern, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland

felipeboralli
08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Cities in continents forgotten...

Africa
Tunis, Tunisia
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Khartoum, Sudan
Dakar, Senegal

Asia
Shangai, China
Istanbul, Turkey
Tehran, Iran
Kabul, Afghanistan
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

South America
Lima, Peru
Caracas, Venezuela

birq
08-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Singapore

Mickey
08-16-2005, 05:20 AM
Added:
Bern, Switzerland
Cardiff, Wales
Caracas, Venezuela
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dakar, Senegal
Edinburgh, scotland
Helsinki, Finland
Istanbul, Turkey
Kabul, Afghanistan
Khartoum, Sudan
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Lima, Peru
Oslo, Norway
Reykjavik, Iceland
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Shanghai, China
Stockholm, Sweden
Tehran, Iran
Tunis, Tunisia

Not Added:
Singapore - Kuala Lumpur is too close
Zurich, Switzerland - Bern is too close

waveking
08-16-2005, 05:47 AM
How about covering the big and important cities of India such as:
Delhi,
Mumbai,
Bangalore,
Lucknow,
Hyderabad,
Agra,
Kerela

rasqual
08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Dude, you gotta add Timbuktu. Right? I mean . . .

;-)

3lumi
08-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Wolgograd/Russia
Nowosibirsk/Russia
Perth -Aus
Brisbane-Aus
Manila-Phillipines
Hanoi-Vietnam
XiÓn-China
Astana-Kazakhstan
Addis Ababa-Ethiopia
Nairobe-Kenya
Abu Dhabi-UAE

wiccanerd
08-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Leeds, UK as it is my hometown.
it would be nice if you could add it, please

Appletom
08-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Added:
Bern, Switzerland
Not Added:
Zurich, Switzerland - Bern is too close

Hmm - just a thought, but doesn't Switzerland have a long history of remaining neutral in all wars? They have never sent their troops to fight, nor do I believe that any country has ever tried to attack Switzerland.

norbi_nw
08-16-2005, 12:58 PM
I would like a map for ORADEA, a city in Romania. 10q

davidpinto1979
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Portugal rules! Probably Lisbon and Porto could be added.

France
08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I think you might add the small independant city-states, (Monaco, Andore, Lichtenstein, etc...) because if ever you developp a natural ressource point system, those small country had not a big population, but a big financial value, generaly.

In this kind of idea, there's some independant islands to add also. But I am very bad in this kind of stuff.

valentinxyz
08-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Bucharest should have a detailed map. It is big and it is a capital of European Country. Thanks in advance.

SnakeMan
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi people, i think this is my first post... dunno... hehehe. But well, i like a better image of Montevideo, Uruguay. Im not from the capitol city, i live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. But since is nearly close to my city, i was watching that Montevideo is in low resolution. What do u think?

Snaky.

friesede
08-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi there,
this one is a really good website in questions of city inhabitants: http://www.citypopulation.de/cities.html
just klick on the country in the world map and you find a lot of statistics about almost evey city in the world.
greetings, friesede

ruidoblanco
08-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I live in Caracas, Venezuela
so... i would like to see my city! :) :smile:

other cities:

- bogota, colombia
- quito, ecuador
- panamß city

Mickey
08-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Bucharest should have a detailed map. It is big and it is a capital of European Country. Thanks in advance.

Hi people, i think this is my first post... dunno... hehehe. But well, i like a better image of Montevideo, Uruguay. Im not from the capitol city, i live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. But since is nearly close to my city, i was watching that Montevideo is in low resolution. What do u think?

This forum is just for items related to Google Earth War (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/war/). For image overlay requests like that, please use the other forums on the site.

Thanks.

Mickey
08-16-2005, 10:56 PM
I'll take care of the city requests in here soon. If you have new city requests, please create a new thread in this forum for each group of requests that you have - don't reply to someone else's city request thread. Thanks.