PDA

View Full Version : GEboards FAQs

Mickey
10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I've had a few questions, so I thought I'd start keeping them here. Feel free to reply and ask more.

How many items are shown? How do you determine which ones to show?

Right now we're showing 25 items at a time. This could potentially be quite hard on the server, so we may have to lower it a bit. We'll see.

They're displayed based on a handful of popularity ranking (replies, views, age, etc).

I added a post. Why didn't the post count at the top go up?

The image at the top with the post count is set to update hourly. However, if you refresh the "GEboards - Stat Overlay" network link in your sidebar, it will update immediately.

Jrod
10-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The option to pick a category was not available for me. Is something that is being worked on or is just me.

Secondly, how long when creating a new thread does it take to appear, the same amount of time as a post?

Captain Hornblower
10-02-2007, 05:33 PM
After creating the thread just move the map a little bit. That initiates the update-function and you'll see it :)

Jrod
10-02-2007, 06:33 PM
It's still not posting the new thread. When I first open up GE and enable the forum it gives me a network link error. I have uninstalled and downloaded it again and it still gives the same error. eventually it connects but not new thread. Plus, still no categories available to choose from.

Would like to get it resolved if possible so that I can use the function to its full potential. I am able to reply to threads.

Mickey
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
The option to pick a category was not available for me. Is something that is being worked on or is just me.
Category selection only shows up on new threads, not for replies. If you're trying to create a new thread and you're not seeing the category box, we've got a problem. Let me know.

It's still not posting the new thread. When I first open up GE and enable the forum it gives me a network link error. I have uninstalled and downloaded it again and it still gives the same error. eventually it connects but not new thread. Plus, still no categories available to choose from.
I'm guessing this was your first "Vortex Springs" post. Some weird symbol ended up in there near your URL and it caused a problem. I've fixed that and tweaked the code to prevent it from happening again.

SpiderX22
10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I have the same problem. The issue is, the filter is automatically set to something..you need to change the filter to "Show ALL Items" after making your post in order to see your post. ANy way to make the filter auto-set to show all?

Mickey
10-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I have the same problem. The issue is, the filter is automatically set to something..you need to change the filter to "Show ALL Items" after making your post in order to see your post. ANy way to make the filter auto-set to show all?
That's odd - it is set to "show all" by default. I've just checked, and Captain Hornblower is the only person that has a filter applied right now.

One other thing that it could be -- the site only shows the 25 most popular areas in your view. If there are 25 other items on your screen, they'll probably all be consider more popular because they've been there longer, meaning your new item won't show up until you zoom in tighter. Could that be it?

Captain Hornblower
10-02-2007, 08:13 PM
... and Captain Hornblower is the only person that has a filter applied right now.
I had a filter applied :shock:

Anyway, is there a way to moderate each post within a thread? As far as I am correct I just can delete the whole thread...

Mickey
10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Anyway, is there a way to moderate each post within a thread? As far as I am correct I just can delete the whole thread...
If you click the thread title in the admin area it will take you to the details page.

On the details page, one item is "Posts:". Click the number next to that to view each post and selectively delete them.

Captain Hornblower
10-02-2007, 08:19 PM
:clap:

Jrod
10-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Still do not get the option to select a category and there is no way for me to check all under filters. I click on the under choose category and it only gives me a single blank box.

Thread is now seen. I do remeber seeing the strange symbol next to the link now that you mention it. Didn't think much about it at the time.

Mickey
10-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Still do not get the option to select a category and there is no way for me to check all under filters. I click on the under choose category and it only gives me a single blank box.

Very interesting. Let me get this straight:

- When posting a thread, you DO get the drop-down box to choose a category.
- When using the "Choose Category" tool to filter the results, you do NOT get the drop-down box.

Correct?

Nickvet419
10-03-2007, 07:30 AM
:givebeer:Great new addition to the site. Nice work on it so far.
Will this be like a Wiki project? like wikimapia, or a plain post and comment?
you'r from midland? My cousin lives there. Went to a loons game this summer. Nice small town.

Mickey
10-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Will this be like a Wiki project? like wikimapia, or a plain post and comment?
I'm thinking sort of a combination of both. I had originally intended it to be just a plain post and comment, but then realized that much of what would be posted would me wikimapia-ish, so I started included more tools (categories, icons) to help with that.

you'r from midland? My cousin lives there. Went to a loons game this summer. Nice small town.
Yep! You can kind of tell where we've lived. I'm from Midland, my wife is from Albany (GA), we lived in Dothan (AL) for a while and now we're in Marietta (GA). Those cities all have a bunch of stuff labeled. :)

My folks still live in Midland and I have a Loons shirt that I wear sometime, but I've never been to a game of theirs.

Nickvet419
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
just a few ideas for you.

I know youre working on Icons, but its hard to have 1000's of diferent catagories for each icon.
one way to get around this is to have multiple pulldown lists for the catigories. so, first puldown you select bank, second select bank of america.
Or another way I think yould work better is to use predictive text in the subject line. sort of like IE does with search history when youre typing a web address. This can also help with mispellings.
Also possibly user submitted icons.

So here is how I would do it...
Predictive text in the subject line.
From this, a catagory list would become active with posible choices based on the subject entered. This would also aid in selecting the subject. Include the "other" option for new catagories and places.
After the catagory is selected and the place has a title, there is a area to select an Icon. Defult, User submited, or new... This will also be determined by the subject.
and then you have the post section for a discription. as "Optional"

Mickey
10-03-2007, 05:54 PM
one way to get around this is to have multiple pulldown lists for the catigories. so, first puldown you select bank, second select bank of america.
Or another way I think yould work better is to use predictive text in the subject line. sort of like IE does with search history when youre typing a web address. This can also help with mispellings.
Good idea. However, my Flash skills are very weak (it took me a while to build those simple forms), so I'd need some serious help from a Flash expert.

Predictive text in the subject line.
From this, a catagory list would become active with posible choices based on the subject entered. This would also aid in selecting the subject. Include the "other" option for new catagories and places.
After the catagory is selected and the place has a title, there is a area to select an Icon. Defult, User submited, or new... This will also be determined by the subject.
and then you have the post section for a discription. as "Optional"
Very good ideas. I'm trying to keep it simple for now, but if things get busier I'll need to consider ideas like this.

The way it works right now is that we have dozens of hidden categories that you don't see in the drop-down, mostly for smaller chains of restaurants and shopping venues. When someone submits a location for a site that's not in the drop-down, we can often just put it in the correct category and move on. I'm trying to keep the drop-down list on the site pretty clean, so most categories aren't visible there.

For single locations (mom & pop restaurants, etc), we have the ability to upload thread-specific icons. I've not opened that up to the users for two reasons:

1 - I'm trying to keep everything inside of Google Earth. As of now, that would require an external web page.
2 - I'm trying to keep them all at the exact same specs. While many users would follow posted specs, I'm sure many others wouldn't.

That being said, this is another case where I'll probably open it up to the users once the level of posts/day increases.

Jrod
10-04-2007, 02:37 AM
Very interesting. Let me get this straight:

- When posting a thread, you DO get the drop-down box to choose a category.
- When using the "Choose Category" tool to filter the results, you do NOT get the drop-down box.

Correct?

The catagory box when posting a new thread is blank. NO options available on it.

In the "Choose Category" tool to filer the results is available.

Sorry for any confussion. Just want to get it right so that I can use it.

Thank you for the help.

Mickey
10-04-2007, 02:53 AM
The catagory box when posting a new thread is blank. NO options available on it.

In the "Choose Category" tool to filer the results is available.

Thanks for that info. I've not heard of anyone else with similar problems, but it's bound to come up so I'd like to figure out what's going on.

What version of Flash do you have installed? (check it here (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507))

Also, what version of Windows? (2000, XP, Vista)

Jrod
10-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Running latest version of flash along with xp sp2. deleted it and downloaded the app. again and still same problem. It gives me network link error at first then eventually connects under the browsing link. Could this be my issue?

Mickey
10-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Running latest version of flash along with xp sp2. deleted it and downloaded the app. again and still same problem. It gives me network link error at first then eventually connects under the browsing link. Could this be my issue?
Weird. I don't think it could be just your issue, but I'll certainly look into it.

The network link error is probably unrelated. I've been squishing some bugs this evening and caused a few more. I'm working on that right now.

How about Google Earth? Under [Help] --> [About Google Earth] what version are you on (all 10 or so digits)?

Felippo
10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I have downloaded the KML package and it works, but it is full of useless (to me) placemarks. Most I see is Maredo, Burger King, Pizza Hut and McDonalds, and I found no filter.:happynope

I found none of my 300 placemarks.:happynope

To me it looks like payed fastfood propaganda.

Mickey
10-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I have downloaded the KML package and it works, but it is full of useless (to me) placemarks. Most I see is Maredo, Burger King, Pizza Hut and McDonalds, and I found no filter.
The filter is on the left, titled "GEboards - Choose Category".

I found none of my 300 placemarks.
Old placemarks aren't currently in there, though I'm considering adding them.

That's just been the easiest items to add. Over time, it will become much more balanced.

Captain Hornblower
10-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Most I see is Maredo, ....
:D

I am not payed by anyone for adding Maredo or Block House (also my work :yep:), but I love to eat a good steak, what you usually can get there. AFAIK both houses are not in the Google Earth restaurant list, so I thought it's an interesting information for a few people here.

Nickvet419
10-07-2007, 08:39 AM
How about a way to edit something you posted..

Mickey
10-07-2007, 11:18 AM
How about a way to edit something you posted..

It's on my list...

Jrod
10-08-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm guessing this was your first "Vortex Springs" post. Some weird symbol ended up in there near your URL and it caused a problem. I've fixed that and tweaked the code to prevent it from happening again.

Still gave me the strange symbol at the end of the url, I erased it shows up fine. I still don't have the option for category, when posting a new thread either.

longtrang
10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
I know you don't want to clutter up the catagory list and keep it simple for now, but after making numerous posts, I found there are a few that could come in handy that you might want to add later on...

Theater/Symphony Hall/Opera House (non movie)
Veterinary Clinic
Ruins/Archaeological Site
Dam
Mine
Plant/Factory
Statue/Monument
Shooting Range (maybe under Sports)
Canyon
Cave

BTW, I like Nickvet's idea about the multiple pulldown selections.

Mickey
10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Still gave me the strange symbol at the end of the url, I erased it shows up fine. I still don't have the option for category, when posting a new thread either.
The strange symbol appears whenever anything is pasted into the Flash box. I have no idea why...

I found there are a few that could come in handy that you might want to add later on...

Theater/Symphony Hall/Opera House (non movie)
Veterinary Clinic
Ruins/Archaeological Site
Dam
Mine
Plant/Factory
Statue/Monument
Shooting Range (maybe under Sports)
Canyon
Cave
I'll try to get those added today.

BTW, I like Nickvet's idea about the multiple pulldown selections.
Me too, but we need someone good with Flash to help do it. Know anyone?

SpiderX22
10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
IS there a way to add a category labeled like "Questions"..so if someone doesn't know what something is they can ask a question about it. (I'd put this category under other).

Mickey
10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
IS there a way to add a category labeled like "Questions"..so if someone doesn't know what something is they can ask a question about it. (I'd put this category under other).
Great idea. I'll add that later today as well.

Mickey
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I've added a few to the database (but not the Flash drop-down yet).

For reference, here is a full list of the categories in the database:

http://www.gearthhacks.com/geboards/catlist.php

Mickey
10-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Ok, all of those items have been added to the database, and I've added about 15 new items to Flash drop-down menus.

Please let me know if you have more suggestions.