PDA

View Full Version : Should I import our main file collection?

Mickey
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm torn about whether to import our main collection (http://www.gearthhacks.com/downloads/) of files or not.

On one hand, it would add a LOT of content (about 16,000 files should transfer ok), but I don't want to just add clutter.

What do you think?

Appletom
10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
If you put them in, could you easily take them out if needed.

Or - maybe just the ones with ratings.

Or - just the 500 with the most downloads.

Mickey
10-04-2007, 06:03 PM
If you put them in, could you easily take them out if needed.
Not really, but I guess I could design it that way.

Or - maybe just the ones with ratings.

Or - just the 500 with the most downloads.
Good suggestions. I might do that.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

sladys
10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm torn about whether to import our main collection (http://www.gearthhacks.com/downloads/) of files or not.

On one hand, it would add a LOT of content (about 16,000 files should transfer ok), but I don't want to just add clutter.

What do you think?

I don't understand your question, could you please explain for me and maybe other members. :)

Mickey
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM
We have about 16,000 files in our main GEH file database that are suitable to be added to GEboards (single point, non-overlay, etc).

Should I have the system add those as 16,000 new threads to help populate the boards and give us lots of stuff to talk about? Or would it just clutter things up?

I could have it add them all, build an initial post based on the description in our system and have the "thread starter" be the user that submitted the item to our site.

sladys
10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
OH, OK now I got it. :)

I think you should take the most popular files too. But there have been some problems with files with horrible downloads. Spider has mentioned them in our forum.

Then you could mention the network link for each category. That's a great feature. I use it to approve/deny files.

Mickey
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
I think you should take the most popular files too.
I'm leaning toward taking all of them. I have an idea for a script that could continually add the new ones, too.

But there have been some problems with files with horrible downloads. Spider has mentioned them in our forum.
I don't think that would cause a problem here.

Then you could mention the network link for each category. That's a great feature. I use it to approve/deny files.
Yep, that'd be good.

Captain Hornblower
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I am not happy with the idea...:slant:

Mickey
10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Fair enough. Why not?

Captain Hornblower
10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
The main database is still full of duplicates, outdated items and other unclean datas. If you import the whole database, you'll get a "dirty" new database.

And what is the goal of getting the same threads once again? Do you want to discuss the same topic in two threads? :shifty: I wouldn't like it (I know it might happen anyway in some occasions).

I recommend to make a "sharp" separation between both systems. :yep:

Mickey
10-04-2007, 08:25 PM
The main database is still full of duplicates, outdated items and other unclean datas. If you import the whole database, you'll get a "dirty" new database.

And what is the goal of getting the same threads once again? Do you want to discuss the same topic in two threads? :shifty: I wouldn't like it (I know it might happen anyway in some occasions).

I recommend to make a "sharp" separation between both systems. :yep:

Very good points. Anyone else have thoughts?

SpiderX22
10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Agree with the Captain. Plus it would get cluttered like the "i" system they use at the GEC. Also, the flash-based GE is nice because you can post threads like, "What plane is this" or "what is this." Or if you're unsure of what something is before you submit it to the main database, you can ask about it.

Jrod
10-04-2007, 10:34 PM
If this is eventually done and resembles the GEC "i", it would be nice if there was a to be able to do a search of them within GE. I've always wished that you could search the icons with GE.

Mickey
10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
If this is eventually done and resembles the GEC "i", it would be nice if there was a to be able to do a search of them within GE. I've always wished that you could search the icons with GE.
Agreed. I plan on adding a search feature to this before too long, even if we don't import the existing icons.

Given the feedback so far, I think I'll hold off on this.

longtrang
10-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Is there a way to do it just for countries that aren't going to get a lot of posts/don't have a lot yet? Countries like the U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, Mexico, etc. are going to have people post a bunch of their places, but places like Kyrgyzstan could maybe use a jump start.

Mickey
10-04-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm thinking I might build a tool for the admins where they can go to an existing item, click on "add to GEboards", and it'll automatically build a thread for it.

Nickvet419
10-05-2007, 02:51 AM
You can add them on a diferent layer/folder. That way they don't clutter the new database. Who ever wants to see them can just turn on the layer.

Mickey
10-05-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm thinking I might build a tool for the admins where they can go to an existing item, click on "add to GEboards", and it'll automatically build a thread for it.
Ok, this is done.

On most areas of the site, when viewing a list of files, there will be a link that says "Admin: Send to GEboards". This link will appear as long as three criteria have been met:

1 - You have rights to administrate the files
2 - The file has a single lat/lon point associated with it. The easy way to know is to see if it has a Maps link with it, or just Earth.
3 - It hasn't already been added.

It's a pretty easy to use tool and should help move some of the more interesting points to GEboards.

Mickey
10-05-2007, 03:04 AM
You can add them on a diferent layer/folder. That way they don't clutter the new database. Who ever wants to see them can just turn on the layer.
I've thought about that as well, but it would be tricky to do given the current database layouts.

I think converting them individually as needed will probably be our best answer.

sladys
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Captain and Spider. You misunderstood my idea. Again because of my english I couldn't explain it right.

I meant the same as Jrod. His ideas with icons is featured by the network link. You don't have to add them all, and especially not the outdated. If you could click a category and the it shows up on GEboards.

Captain Hornblower
10-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Sorry, buddy, but I replied on Mickeys initial post...

longtrang
10-05-2007, 08:26 PM

I like that idea. It might take longer, but I think it would avoid some of the clutter if you just added a whole bunch of them all at once.

Felippo
10-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Hello Captain Hornblower

I would like to know why you made such a lot of Maredo and Block House advertising. Do you make this for hobby, free meals or payment?

Captain Hornblower
10-07-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43278&postcount=23

And please tell me why I have to justify myself...

Mickey
10-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Hello Captain Hornblower

I would like to know why you made such a lot of Maredo and Block House advertising. Do you make this for hobby, free meals or payment?

I've added a whole bunch of McDonald's and Chick-Fil-A, but for no reason other than to populate it with good data. I think having a lot of that kind of stuff in there could be very useful over time.