PDA

View Full Version : You now must be registered to download files from the site

Mickey
08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
In a move that I <i>really</i> didn't want to have to make, you now must be registered on the site to be able to download files. I had no intention of ever requiring this, but there are a few large sites out there that have chosen to hotlink our files, costing us money that we can't afford.

Therefore, we now require that you register on the site before you can download. Registration is free, and it's really not a big deal, but I still feel very badly about having to require it.

You can leave your comments in this thread.

Thanks,
Mickey

Steeefan
08-15-2005, 10:05 PM
That sure is a bad thing but I think that's the only way of keeping the costs in control. I'm absolutely not cheering about that but I totally agree with you.

Aus-Globetrotter
08-15-2005, 10:28 PM
If requiring registration is necessary to keep down costs, then it is a worthwhile venture, I say. Through sheer laziness I had not yet registered, even though I have used this site since its begining (also, I didn't think I should register until I had something really worthwhile to contribute!).

Thanks for all the work so far Mickey - without a doubt the best GE site round.

deathpasser
08-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Registration shouldn't be a big deal at all. It took me under 5 minutes to register, tis a snap. I would've found it rather surprising if anyone actually complained about it (apparently no body has though ;))

But personally I never did like registering to sites much and it does drive people away sometimes. (except this place and some others which I actually planned on revisiting)

Graham Toal
08-17-2005, 03:26 AM
You don't need to require logins in order to stop off-site deep linking.

You can simply have your download cgi's check the "Referer:" field in the HTTP request. If it comes from your own site, you allow it, otherwise put up an error page objecting to deep linking.

dan
08-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I agree too. Its bad, but what else to do? But i noticed the decrease of daily downloads at my Files. Hope everybody will register.

green_lantern
08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
I think that`s absolut ok,
Im using this site since the first week it hitted
and registered just one week later.

great site!

Mickey
08-17-2005, 11:57 AM
You don't need to require logins in order to stop off-site deep linking.

You can simply have your download cgi's check the "Referer:" field in the HTTP request. If it comes from your own site, you allow it, otherwise put up an error page objecting to deep linking.

I played with that a bit but was having a hard time making it work with our current download script. While I've rewritten most of the script (which I originally downloaded), the code that initiates the download is the still the original mess.

At some point (when I have time - hah!), I'll re-write the download script, integrate referrer checking, then disable the required registration.

bubu
08-17-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree that you ask for a registration to keep costs low. But - may be I'm too stupid - I'm no more able to download a file. Everytime I click on a link I'm redirected to the download page with the message "You must log-in to be able to download this file." :?

Mickey
08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I agree that you ask for a registration to keep costs low. But - may be I'm too stupid - I'm no more able to download a file. Everytime I click on a link I'm redirected to the download page with the message "You must log-in to be able to download this file." :?

Sounds like it's probably a cookie problem. Does the message board remember who you are, or do you have to log-in every time?

TheRealMccoy
08-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately there are lamers who try to link directly :-x

It doesn't bother me to be registered to download since I am registered since the first day I discovered this site ;)

araT
08-18-2005, 12:05 PM

bubu, See this thread (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4423) - I just explained the potential errors to someone else, you arent the only one with this issue. Hope the thread helps! :)

T.

bubu
08-18-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks for your help, the problem is solved. After posting my question all downloads worked fine.
I think that Mickey was right, it seemed to be a cookie problem.
Thanks again for your help and have a nice time. :-)

araT
08-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Anytime bubu :) anything we can do to help, just let us know ;)

Welcome to GEH, we hope you have many fun times here! :D

T.

wmbaum
08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
At some point (when I have time - hah!), I'll re-write the download script, integrate referrer checking, then disable the required registration.
Just use a rewriterule with mod_rewrite.

You really have two issues. Do you want to limit downloads to people actually browsing your site, or do you simply want to prevent links on other sites? IOW, what about emailed/bookmarked/pasted links without referrer?

You can prevent hotlinking fairly effectively by simply rejecting bad referrers, while allowing local and blank referrers.

storeluffer
08-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Get hosted in Denmark instead, they don't rip you off on bandwith (which should be cheap)

Mickey
08-29-2005, 10:20 PM
Ok, registration is no longer required. After some research and thought, I decided to implement a security code form to fix this. It seems to be working pretty well so far. Details here (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817).