PDA

View Full Version : Lat & long in decimal degrees needed

huwyngr
08-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Forgive me if this has been dealt with:

One of the View options with GE is to superimpose a grid of latitude and longitude but this is in degrees, minutes, decimal seconds but Search only accepts Decimal Degrees. I can make the conversion using a website like

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

but it would be very useful if a converter were part of the GE system, or even better if the View option offered Decimal Degrees.

This came up yesterday when I wanted to tell a pilot friend to go to a location, tilt and try landing at the old HongKong airport where to avoid a mountain you approached at right angles to the runway aiming at a Sony neon sign on top of an apartment building and at the last moment make a hard right and line up on the runway!

Anyone interested can use 22.323142, 114.194603 as the destination, rotate and tilt until the mountain is between you and the runway and you'll see what I mean <g>

Hugh

trimetrov
08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
GE will search using DMS. Just type in your DMS value with a space between each, and a comma between your lat & long (e.g., "38 37 35, -90 11 32") and search. Note the negative sign for western hemisphere, no positive sign needed for northern.

huwyngr
08-18-2005, 01:35 AM
GE will search using DMS. Just type in your DMS value with a space between each, and a comma between your lat & long (e.g., "38 37 35, -90 11 32") and search. Note the negative sign for western hemisphere, no positive sign needed for northern.

That's odd -- when I tried it previously it did not work but decimal degrees that I calculated did.

However it would be good to have Decimal degrees information as an alternative to DMS -- much easier to input.

Another odd thing -- I don't see a Reply button any more; just QUOTE which does bring up a reply window, but with the good threading here quoting is not needed.

Stadsman
08-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Reply button is on bottom left

araT
08-18-2005, 07:45 AM

One of the View options with GE is to superimpose a grid of latitude and longitude but this is in degrees, minutes, decimal seconds but Search only accepts Decimal Degrees. I can make the conversion using a website like

but it would be very useful if a converter were part of the GE system, or even better if the View option offered Decimal Degrees.

This came up yesterday when I wanted to tell a pilot friend to go to a location, tilt and try landing at the old HongKong airport where to avoid a mountain you approached at right angles to the runway aiming at a Sony neon sign on top of an apartment building and at the last moment make a hard right and line up on the runway!

Anyone interested can use 22.323142, 114.194603 as the destination, rotate and tilt until the mountain is between you and the runway and you'll see what I mean <g>
Hugh

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but within GE's options you can choose how coordinates are displayed.. in either DMS or just D.. change that to just D.. i'll attach a screenshot.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7049/capture029sb.png

T.

huwyngr
08-18-2005, 03:30 PM

Maybe I've gone blind but where? See attached two screen images showing top and bottom halves.

I may be new here but I've been sysoping for decades on Compuserve and am fairly computer literate! <g>

Hugh

Stadsman
08-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Maybe I've gone blind but where? See attached two screen images showing top and bottom halves.
Hugh
Odd, works here on three computers and on IE as well as on FF. Haven't heard any other complaints either. If you have firefox installed, can you see how it looks on there?

Steeefan
08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Weird..works for me too without any problems at all.

huwyngr
08-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Odd, works here on three computers and on IE as well as on FF. Haven't heard any other complaints either. If you have firefox installed, can you see how it looks on there?

I only have MSIE installed.

I just checked the European Forum that uses VBull 3.0.8 and there is no Reply button there either.

http://www.europeanforumonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158

but they have a quick reply window that's there all the time and I've always used that anyway.

Can you post a screen image for me to see what it should look like and where it is?

Do you know if there is a script active that causes it to appear, say for members logged in as I am? It might be due to the MSIE Security settiings I have on scripts Tools / Internet options / Advanced.

huwyngr
08-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm not entirely sure if this is what you mean, but within GE's options you can choose how coordinates are displayed.. in either DMS or just D.. change that to just D.. i'll attach a screenshot.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7049/capture029sb.png

T.

Ah thanks -- I remember seeing that but thinking it meant Degrees only -- zero decimal places.

Stadsman
08-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Can you post a screen image for me to see what it should look like and where it is?

Do you know if there is a script active that causes it to appear, say for members logged in as I am? It might be due to the MSIE Security settiings I have on scripts Tools / Internet options / Advanced.

Screenshot:
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7521/ssreply2yc.png

As for the security settings questions; I have no idea. You may want to try installing Firefox and see if that works better (it's a better browser anyway imo).

huwyngr
08-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks.

Definitely not there on mine. I'll do some more exploring.

huwyngr
08-20-2005, 03:26 PM

OK -- I've resolved the mystery of the missing Reply button -- it is not there when you are in Thread Display mode.

It is there in Linear and Hybrid although then there is only one per thread so far as a quick glance is concerned whereas the Quote button that brings up the Reply Editor is naturally one per message.

Is there a webmaster handy?

Also linked is the missing icons to the right of the Reply Editor when one is in Thread mode. See attachment.

Flechettes
06-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Question? :slant:

Why does your pilot friend need coordinates when he can see the landmarks you write about? Where are you getting these coordinates? How do you know how accurate they are?

Hugh

huwyngr
06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Question? :slant:

Why does your pilot friend need coordinates when he can see the landmarks you write about? Where are you getting these coordinates? How do you know how accurate they are?

Firstly you are answering a message that is nearly 3 years old! So I've little recollection of the circumstances.

Secondly who said the pilot could see the airport? I said I wanted to tell someone to go to a location and the international way of giving a location is lat/long. In this particular case I suspect I was thinking of someone using a flight simulator program since I know someone who writes them.

Thirdly you can get the coordinates from Google Earth.

Gandolf
06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Don't be to harsh on him. Sometimes I get caught up in some old posts and do the same thing. It never hurts to rehash somethings from time to time. Never know you might get a new prospective on it.

huwyngr
06-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Don't be to harsh on him. Sometimes I get caught up in some old posts and do the same thing. It never hurts to rehash somethings from time to time. Never know you might get a new prospective on it.

Not my intention to be harsh but to explain why I might not remember why I posted the message.