PDA

View Full Version : Categories for StreetView section

Mickey
04-18-2008, 03:03 AM
If you'd like to see a category added to our StreetView section (http://www.gearthhacks.com/streetview/), here's your place to ask!

sahlsmith
04-20-2008, 04:45 PM
How about a category for POI-Points of Interest. I'm adding a photo I took of the Taj Mahal last week in Agra, India. POI would be a good collection point for various travel and sightseeing locations.

--Scott

Captain Hornblower
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
But... but... but Streetview doesn't work in India... So actually your idea doesn't make sense...

But try Google Earth... still pretty cool tool ;)

sladys
04-22-2008, 07:36 AM
I have some more.

Other transportation, Flags and signs, animals.

Mickey
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I have some more.

Other transportation, Flags and signs, animals.
Done!

sladys
04-23-2008, 06:14 AM
I wonder why we haven this category since we have found these images of the StreetView car.

So please add a category StreetView-car. :)

Mickey
04-23-2008, 07:00 PM
So please add a category StreetView-car. :)

Great idea. Done!

sladys
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Our captain has begun a new sigt, so please add a category for famous homes.
And a category bridges would also be great to have.

SpiderX22
04-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Can we by any chance change Cars, Ships/Boats/Etc and Other Transportation into like, "Ground Transportation," "Water Transportation," and "Air Transportation?"

Mickey
04-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Our captain has begun a new sigt, so please add a category for famous homes.
Done - now we just need to move a bunch of files into the new category.

And a category bridges would also be great to have.
Done.

Can we by any chance change Cars, Ships/Boats/Etc and Other Transportation into like, "Ground Transportation," "Water Transportation," and "Air Transportation?"
Done. I was careful about renaming the proper ones to their new corresponding category, so no file moving should be necessary. Still, you might want to check them out to be sure.

Mickey
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I moved most of the "famous homes", but you might want to check and make sure I didn't miss any.

There was a bug in re-calculating the number of files in each category after one was moved, but it's been fixed now.

SpiderX22
04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Is a Minuteman II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile considered air transportation? I suggest maybe a "Military" category for stuff like this, or bomb targets or what not. Prolly not gonna get many for it, so don't worry about this too much yet (not until the "other category builds up, or more military stuff is found).

Also suggest adding a category "Numbers" (or make it Art/Numbers) for things like clocks, gas prices, or whatnot..

Also, is there any way to view StreetView files by uploader? I'm interested to see who has uploaded what..and I'd rather not have to go through and find everyone..

Mickey
04-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Is a Minuteman II Intercontinental Ballistic Missile considered air transportation? I suggest maybe a "Military" category for stuff like this, or bomb targets or what not. Prolly not gonna get many for it, so don't worry about this too much yet (not until the "other category builds up, or more military stuff is found).
The line between "Military" and "Transportation - Air" could get very blurry.

Also suggest adding a category "Numbers" (or make it Art/Numbers) for things like clocks, gas prices, or whatnot..
Maybe so, thought I think we should keep "art" separate.

Also, is there any way to view StreetView files by uploader? I'm interested to see who has uploaded what..and I'd rather not have to go through and find everyone..
Not yet, because frankly, it's rather pitiful. The script is ready, but I'd like to get the user base a bit wider first. Here's how it stands right now:

146 - sladys
47 - Mickey
47 - Captain Hornblower
43 - SpiderX22
5 - stealthhawk2
3 - Appletom
2 - nekochan
2 - Iverson3
2 - Mac-E
1 - baggins
1 - prattmic

It's about 98% moderators. I'm very thankful for your great support of it, but I'd like to see a wider variety of users before we unveil that. At this point, people can assume that those 300 files have come from a lot of different people. :)

sladys
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Could you add two new categories? :)

Indor Arenas and Football/Soccer/Baseball Stadiums.

Then you could change the name Sport venues to Other sport venues.

So far it's a mess with all those sport issues in one category. :spin:

Mickey
06-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Could you add two new categories? :)

Indor Arenas and Football/Soccer/Baseball Stadiums.

Then you could change the name Sport venues to Other sport venues.

So far it's a mess with all those sport issues in one category. :spin:

How about:

Sports - Indoor Arenas
Sports - Stadiums
Sports - Other

Would that work?

sladys
06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Even better. :givebeer:

Mickey
06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Done!

SpiderX22
08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Can you please change the "Bridges" category to "Bridges/Tunnels?" I figure the two are closely enough related, but there aren't enough tunnels to warrant it's own category.

sladys
10-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I have some new ideas.

A category for government buildings.

Instead of the current Streetart category we could have following categories:

Sculptures

Murals and textures

SpiderX22
10-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Definitely need to split the Transportation - Air into "in Flight" and "on the Ground" sections..there's 196 files in flight, and 137 of them on the ground.

Mickey
10-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Ok, the changes I just made:

- "Bridges" renamed "Bridges/Tunnels"
- Changed dashes to colons (like "Sports - Other" to "Sports: Other")
- Added "Buildings: Government"
- Changed "Transportation: Air" to "Transportation: Air (in flight)"
- Added "Transportation: Air (on the ground)"
- Renamed "Religious Buildings" to "Buildings: Religious"
- Renamed "Buildings" to "Buildings: Other"

For the Street Art, which one has current has more in there -- Sculptures or Murals/Textures? I want to rename to the one that has more, then add the other so we'll have fewer items to move.

Also, should we look at splitting "Flags and signs"? Once air gets cleaned up, F&S will be our largest category? If so, which one has more items in the current category?

sladys
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
For the Street Art, which one has current has more in there -- Sculptures or Murals/Textures? I want to rename to the one that has more, then add the other so we'll have fewer items to move.

Sculpures = 73
Murals and textures = 41

Also, should we look at splitting "Flags and signs"? Once air gets cleaned up, F&S will be our largest category? If so, which one has more items in the current category?

It's definately flags

SpiderX22
10-16-2008, 03:49 PM
To expose more streetview files, instead of having 2 newest streetviews (which can be easily checked under the newest category), can we have 2 RANDOM streetviews there? Either changing based on per day, per hour, or per refresh?

Mickey
10-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Sculpures = 73
Murals and textures = 41
Thanks.

-- "Street Art" renamed "Street Art: Sculptures"
-- Added new category "Street Art: Murals and Textures"

It's definately flags

-- Renamed "Flags and Signs" to "Flags"
-- Added "Signs"

Mickey
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
To expose more streetview files, instead of having 2 newest streetviews (which can be easily checked under the newest category), can we have 2 RANDOM streetviews there? Either changing based on per day, per hour, or per refresh?
Excellent idea. I went with "per refresh". Seems to be a small bug with Google Chrome (if you refresh it still shows the same location, even though the code is updated), but all other browsers seem to work fine.

SpiderX22
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Excellent idea. I went with "per refresh". Seems to be a small bug with Google Chrome (if you refresh it still shows the same location, even though the code is updated), but all other browsers seem to work fine.

Still just the Newest Files. Also, don't forget to change the title.

Along those lines, you could add a "randomizer" on the top of the front page. I was thinking about this a bit.. on the front page top middle, there's an empty space. You could add an image with a big R and maybe some funky graphic design stuff which links to a page which contains a bunch of random files...organized of course. You can have like 2 random streetviews and 2 random google earth files or something. It'll be a neat "Random Stuff" page. This is just basic thoughts here, but I think it'd be pretty cool, especially since it would introduce more files. Just don't forget to make it so that outdated items are not included. If you do add the random page, go back to just having newest files on the front page.

sladys
10-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Great feature with the randomizer, but I noticed by updating the front page the Outdated files appeares too.

Mickey
10-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Great feature with the randomizer, but I noticed by updating the front page the Outdated files appeares too.
Of course they do -- I never remember to ignore them. :)

It's fixed now.

SpiderX22
11-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Can you change "Street Art: Sculptures" to Street Art: Sculptures/Statues"?

It'll make the files in the category a little more sensible.

sladys
11-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Could you make a category for Giant items/oddities. I think they deserve a category for themselves.

Mickey
11-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Can you change "Street Art: Sculptures" to Street Art: Sculptures/Statues"?

Could you make a category for Giant items/oddities.

Done and done. Thanks!

hotelgreg11
12-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I think there should be a new category for 'parks' or 'national parks' or 'green spaces', or something along those lines. Thanks, bye!

Mickey
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I think there should be a new category for 'parks' or 'national parks' or 'green spaces', or something along those lines. Thanks, bye!

Done. It's called "Parks / Green Spaces". Now fill it with stuff! :)

Thanks,
Mickey

sladys
12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
After StreetView got increased I think we should make our features with allmost the same categories as our GE themes.

Following I would suggest:

Natural Formations

Buildings: Schools / Universities

Buildings: Museums

Zoo's / Aquariums

Military Items

Transportation: Trains - Train Stations / Subways

Transportation: Ground rename to Cars/Trucks

Transportation: Other

Historic places

Prisons

Theme Parks / Circus

Signs: Advertising / Billboards

Signs: Roadsigns

Rename Signs to Signs: Other

Mickey
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
After StreetView got increased I think we should make our features with allmost the same categories as our GE themes.

Done!

sladys
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Another gategory, Mickey.

U.S. Presidents

Mickey
12-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Another gategory, Mickey.

U.S. Presidents
For what exactly? Their homes? If so, we should probably name it slightly differently.

sladys
12-16-2008, 12:55 AM
For what exactly? Their homes? If so, we should probably name it slightly differently.

We have as well homes before/after Presidency, birthplaces, homes during life, libraries, gravesites (Lincoln) but I'm looking for more.

Mickey
12-16-2008, 01:35 AM
We have as well homes before/after Presidency, birthplaces, homes during life, libraries, gravesites (Lincoln) but I'm looking for more.

Fair enough. Done!

SpiderX22
12-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Can "Bridges/Tunnels" be changed to "Bridges/Tunnels/Dams"?

Mickey
12-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Can "Bridges/Tunnels" be changed to "Bridges/Tunnels/Dams"?

Good call. Done.

SpiderX22
12-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks!

sladys
12-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Could you rename the category Famous Homes to Famous homes: Actors

And add 3 new categories Famous Homes for Musicians, Sport and Other

New categories: Route 66, Lighthouses

Mickey
12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Could you rename the category Famous Homes to Famous homes: Actors

And add 3 new categories Famous Homes for Musicians, Sport and Other

New categories: Route 66, Lighthouses

All done, thanks!

sladys
12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks Mickey. :)

SpiderX22
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
There's enough file categories now to add a second random file under the first. =)

Mickey
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
There's enough file categories now to add a second random file under the first. =)
Good call. Done!

sladys
01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Now we have that many files I think we need a advanced search. I'm thinking in that way of scrolling down like in our ordinary files and a search term field.

Search term: Keyword for things you are looking for if needed.

Category: List of all categories we have so far.

State: Non US/List of all US States.

Country: All countries so far: Australia, France, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Spain, USA

sladys
04-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Please change StreetView Car/Driver to StreetView Car/Driver/Pegman

Mickey
04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Please change StreetView Car/Driver to StreetView Car/Driver/Pegman

Excellent idea. Done. Thanks!

sladys
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Could you please make a new category: Buildings - Entertainment ?

SpiderX22
06-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Could you please make a new category: Buildings - Entertainment ?

Or change the Buildings: Museums one to it.

I mean, aren't Museums meant to be entertaining (besides a learning experience).

sladys
06-18-2009, 04:52 PM
No, I mean entertainment for theatres, cinemas, circus and concert halls.

I don't see museums as entertaining.

sladys
10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Now that Universal Resort Orlando is on StreetView we really need a new category Fictive figures/Items.

We have now so many we have placed in People, Animals and so but doesn't really fit in there.

Mickey
10-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Now that Universal Resort Orlando is on StreetView we really need a new category Fictive figures/Items.

We have now so many we have placed in People, Animals and so but doesn't really fit in there.

What would be best?

-- Add "Fictive Figures/Items".
-- Split "People, Animals" into separate categories.
-- Both?

sladys
10-19-2009, 05:14 AM
As I mentioned add fictive

Mickey
10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Done, thanks.

sladys
11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
New categories I thaught of:

Cemeteries/Gravesites

Bordercrossings

Buildings: Embassies

How about creating a Network link for each category instead of the only one for all today?

sladys
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Can you add World War 1 and World War 2?

And when a comment to a file is made can you make it appear it in File comments like our GE files?

Mickey
12-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Can you add World War 1 and World War 2?
Done.

And when a comment to a file is made can you make it appear it in File comments like our GE files?
Good idea, but it'll take some time. I'll add it when I can. Thanks!

sladys
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks Mickey.

Paginadetodos
12-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Hello, I've been uploading files to the website, and now that time has passed, I realized it would be nice to add a category "Airports". In this way, could rise more files from airports, control towers ...

Thank you very much for everything.

Hola, he estado subiendo archivos a la página web, y ahora que ha pasado un tiempo, me he dado cuenta de que estaría bien que añadiese la categoría "Aeropuertos". De ésta manera, podría subir más archivos de aeropuertos, torres de control...

Muchas gracias por todo.

Mickey
12-19-2009, 11:28 AM
We already have "Air (in flight)" and "Air (on the ground)". Do you think we need a separate one for airports?

I'd like to hear other thoughts on this.

Crane
12-19-2009, 09:07 PM
The "Transpostation" are all divided in vehicles (cars, planes, buses). I was thinking about transpostation as "public transport stations", that would include ferry boat harbors, bus stops, train stations, airports, and maybe something else (UFO landing point?).

Ovidiu
12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Mickey,

Is it possible to add the category "Radio studios" ?

Thank you

Ovi

sladys
01-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Can you add a new category?

Buildings: Castles and manors

Mickey
01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Is it possible to add the category "Radio studios" ?
Maybe so. Do you think we have a lot of them?

Can you add a new category?

Buildings: Castles and manors
Done.

Paginadetodos
05-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Hello, I was thinking it would be nice to add the category "Hotels."

A greeting and thank you very much