PDA

View Full Version : Double-check your files

qwertz
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I uploaded a file on Hans Island in the northern arctic (dispute between Canada and Denmark) and you said it was denied because it was already on file. I finally found the one you have via your search engine. There is no included history about the island and the Placemark is in the wrong place.

If you find a duplicate, can you compare and see which has more information for the people, please. I see a lot of the submitters go to a lot of trouble to include historical/geographical information in their files. This is great as GE is a great learning tool.

I know this may create more work for you but to create accurate files I think it is necessary.

Thanks.

araT
08-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I disagree.. Here is both the original information, submitted by prettygoodcarpenter, and your info:

prettygoodcarpenter (original poster)
Description: Hans Island (Greenlandic/Inuktitut: Tartupaluk, French: Île Hans, Danish: Hans Ø) is a small uninhabited barren knoll measuring 1.3 km² (0.5 mi²), located at approximately 80° 49′ 41″ N 66° 38′ 46″ W in the centre of the Kennedy Channel of Nares Strait—the strait that separates Ellesmere Island from Northern Greenland and connects Baffin Bay with the Lincoln Sea. Hans Island is the smallest of three islands located in Kennedy Channel; the others are Franklin Island and Crozier Island.

The island is claimed by both Canada and Denmark. The dispute may turn into a test case on sovereignty claims along the Northwest Passage, a region that could become more important if climate change opens it up to more shipping.

---

qwertz
Description: - A small island in the north claimed jointly by Canada and Denmark since 1973 and now making the news again.

---

Now according to prettygoodcarpenter (and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island) ), the island is 1.3kms long, the island you placemarked is 6kms.. Sorry.

T.

qwertz
08-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Oops, Sorry! I took my info from an atlas which showed the larger island as Hans Island. Guess I'm going to have start using Wikapedia. Thanks!

Stadsman
08-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Oops, Sorry! I took my info from an atlas which showed the larger island as Hans Island. Guess I'm going to have start using Wikapedia. Thanks!
Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source! It is a great initiative, with some great info, but based solely on open submission. As an academic, I've seen MANY mistakes in Wikipedia, some minor, some big ones. It's good for using as a quick check-up, to confirm something. But never use it as definitive source; a good atlas or a more reliable site like Encarta is better suited for that.

araT
08-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Stadsman; I completely agree, but in this instance all of the sources online, including encarta and brittanica were saying it was the "smallest of the 3 islands" and "1.3kms" or "0.5 miles" (same diff), I chose to go off wikipedia because it was the most recognised source.. and had the most information in one spot.. i *could* point you to another 20 URLs that will tell you the same info across 20 pages.

Wikipedia is just a social encyclopedia where anyone can enter whatever data they like, its up to the wise of us to edit it..

T.