PDA

View Full Version : Oil wells!

Mickey
08-17-2005, 03:40 PM
You can now drill for oil and have money rolling in while you sleep!

To set-up a well, choose the drill for oil (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/war/resource_oil.php) link on the left side of the war pages.

Here are the details:

- It costs 50 Geos to establish a well.
- When it's established, it's daily barrel production and lifespan are generated.
- The daily barrel production will vary between 10-200.
- The lifespan will vary between 2-60 days.

This means that an average well will earn you 3000 barrels. The least you'll get is around 20 barrels, and the most you'll get from a well is 12,000 barrels.

Oil can now be converted to Geos using the resource conversion page (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/war/convertresources.php). The current rate is .1 Geos per barrel. It sounds low, but a typically oil well will get you 3000 barrels, which is 300 Geos - not bad on a 50 Geo investment.

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Bastian
08-17-2005, 06:20 PM
do i have to download the tool every time i want to build an oil well?
because i tried to build two wells with the same .kmz but it didnt work

Mickey
08-17-2005, 06:55 PM
do i have to download the tool every time i want to build an oil well?
because i tried to build two wells with the same .kmz but it didnt work

You should be able to build as many as you want with the same KML file, as the file is the same every time you download it. A few things to make sure:

- You need to be in the oil field in Saudi Arabia.
- You need to be zoomed in fairly tight.
- You need to be far enough way from other oil wells.
- You need to have 50 Geos in the bank to pay for it.

What's the problem you're having?

Bastian
08-17-2005, 07:30 PM
don't know. i klicked on yes and it said oil well created successfully but it showed the same lifetime and the same daily production as on the first well and as i clicked on view oil wells there was only one.
i had this problem two times now

birq
08-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Same thing for me. It won't create a second one.

birq
08-17-2005, 07:38 PM
I had a second web browser open, and it was able to create the oil well this time. It seems that the first time, it refreshed into the GEWar browser that was already open, and it didn't work.

It's a theory, at least. Bottom line is that I was able to create a second well.

cheakerdoodels
08-17-2005, 07:43 PM
I bought two just fine. Got a good one.

birq
08-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Both of mine sucked :(

Bastian
08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
and a question: why is this point not in oil field: 28 4'26.55"N, 3920'10.63"E

cheakerdoodels
08-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I may be wrong, but at the rate my oil is going up it doesn't look likes it's going to meet the daily production.

Mickey
08-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I may be wrong, but at the rate my oil is going up it doesn't look likes it's going to meet the daily production.

It will probably fall a little short, but it should be close. A few details:

- Note that by "daily", it refers to 24 hour period, so your total at the end of today won't be as high since it's only a partial day.

- I have a knock-off cron job set-up on the server, using a similar approach as the vBulletin folks. Hidden in the footer of every page in war is a script that checks to see when the totals were last calculated. If it's been five minutes or over, it runs the script. The script then gives you your daily allotment of oil, divided by 24 (that would give us the per hour amount), then divided by 12 (that would give us the total for five minutes). People won't often hit the site right on the five minute mark, so you lose whatever that extra bit is.

I could fix it, but it treats everyone equally so it's not a big deal.

I'm still playing with the exchange rates. They are now set to be recalculated each time the oil is given out. You can hold on to your oil and hope that the rates go back up, or trade it in for Geos whenever you want.

The rates are based on how much oil is currently being produced. As of this writing, around 13.2 barrels are being acquired every five minutes, which puts the exchange rate at 0.08 Geos per barrel.

Here is the current rate list, although I will be tweaking this often:

Total oil per 5 minutes < 10, exchange rate is 0.10
Oil > 10 and < 20, exchange rate is 0.08
Oil > 20 and < 30, exchange rate is 0.06
Oil > 30, exchange rate is 0.04

This will take a lot of tweaking, but should be a neat system. I hope to introduce a similar system with the jewels soon, to track how many are being mined each day and adjust the rates accordingly.

viVaPaLeStIne
08-17-2005, 09:23 PM
i really didnt get the exchang thing, so if i earn more the 10 in 5 min the exchange rate for me is 0.08?? so why should i buy more wells if my exchang rate will be lower and paiy 50 geos for the well

birq
08-17-2005, 09:37 PM
It's a global exchange rate. If we all go apeshizzle drilling oil wells, the total global value of oil drops.

Of course this has nothing to do with the real world, which is why we're still seeing almost $3.00/gallon in my area, but that's another story altogether :)

Mickey
08-17-2005, 09:50 PM
so why should i buy more wells if my exchang rate will be lower and paiy 50 geos for the well

It's a global exchange rate.

Correct. It's how much total oil comes in, not just how much you bring in.

wiccanerd
08-17-2005, 09:54 PM
how can i mine for jewels?
the 'mine for jewels' button just takes you to the jewel collecting KML file.
is this a bug or what?

Bastian
08-17-2005, 11:58 PM
no its no bug. mining for jewels means that you search them with the jewel collecting KML. ;)

Bastian
08-18-2005, 12:48 AM
and a question: why is this point not in oil field: 28 4'26.55"N, 3920'10.63"E
what about that one? bug? its clearly in the black field

and a request: you should be able to sort the wells by how long they are active. and why is the time displayed as a date and not as remaining time?

Bastian
08-18-2005, 01:13 AM
another suggestion: can you mark the space, where you can build a well in some case. for example a circle around every well, where you cant build a well.

sorry for triplepost but i couldnt edit.

Mickey
08-18-2005, 04:00 AM
what about that one? bug? its clearly in the black field
Sorry about that. While I was first tweaking the oil area I left two different sets of coordinates in the file - one for the box and a one for calculating where they're allowed to be. It's been fixed now.

and a request: you should be able to sort the wells by how long they are active.
Good suggestion. Done.

and why is the time displayed as a date and not as remaining time?
I don't know. Do you think it would be better the other way?

can you mark the space, where you can build a well in some case. for example a circle around every well, where you cant build a well.
Good idea, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. As far as I know, you can't draw a true circle using network links, but have to draw it as a series of lines. This would slow down the oil network line a lot and really wouldn't be worth it.

Mickey
08-18-2005, 04:03 AM
A few changes, both fairly minor.

Given that the oil field has pretty much filled up in a matter of hours, some things need to be tweaked. First, the price has just been doubled, up to 100 Geos per well.

Second, I've set it so wells can be slightly closer together (about 20%), so we can squeeze a few more in there.

Beyond that, I'd say when it's full, it's full. Over time, wells will dry up and new spaces will be available.

Thoughts?

3lumi
08-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Horrible prices! By that inflation rate i`d like to nuke the oil field... :)

The next two Days Im not at home. Should I save my Geos Ive earned until yet, to buy a single well, cause perhaps in a view days the exchanging rate for jewels will sink and the prise for wells will raise? Can I afford it in 2 days, or had I go to ask my bank manager for a credit? By that inflation policy maybe I had to sell my cars, house to afford wells. Will the price for a single well raise up to 1000?

Seriuosly: The price for oil wells had to be changed at the "Drill for oil" page. The price there is displayed with 50 geos. (This is a deceitful sales promotion. We need consumer protection. Ill order my lawyer)

davidpinto1979
08-18-2005, 10:18 AM
minor changes?!?!?! 100geos now! i'll just forget the oil wells... for now

Mickey
08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Horrible prices! By that inflation rate i`d like to nuke the oil field...

minor changes?!?!?! 100geos now! i'll just forget the oil wells... for now

Others feel the same way? Should it go back to 50? Or somewhere in between, like 75?

araT
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
to tell you the truth Mick, the prices are fine.. make things too cheap and the game becomes too easy.. the main reason I lost enthusiam is because whenever I go to sleep rasqual (and others, come to think of it.. mostly rasqual :p) bombs the crap outta me.. even if I withdraw from all cities, just leave all my guys in my base.. and also, because I'm on the other side of the world from most of you so when I'm on noone else is active.. kinda boring when I'm staging a war and all my enemies are sleeping.. lol

Somewhere on the boards someone suggested hour-long games, or 6 hour-long games.. I think this might be a good idea on the side, ontop of the permanent running game.. so if people have to go away (like me, i'll be gone Sept 8th - 12th) or like their sleep, they can be a casual player

Ofcouse the smaller games wouldnt be as intense, and things might need to be cheaper.. but there would be a winner at the end of the set time who could be rewarded Geo's into their permanent-game account for winning - sort of like a mini-game that helps achieve your goal in the permanent game.. how does that sound to you?

T.

Mickey
08-18-2005, 01:03 PM
I've thought about it some more, and decided to lower the prices back down to 50 Geos. However, the oil wells will now last for between 2-45 days, rather than 2-60, making them a bit less valuable.

Somewhere on the boards someone suggested hour-long games, or 6 hour-long games.. I think this might be a good idea on the side, ontop of the permanent running game.. so if people have to go away (like me, i'll be gone Sept 8th - 12th) or like their sleep, they can be a casual player

... how does that sound to you?
Sounds good, but won't happen real soon. Once the game gets stabilized a lot more, we might add things like that to it.

Mickey
08-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Also, FYI, I am not a graphics guy. If you have better graphics for use in the game, just send them my way and I'll probably use them.

Specifically, can someone make a better looking oil well? Transparent PNG, around 50x50. You might get a small Geo reward for it. :)

SnakeMan
08-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Also, FYI, I am not a graphics guy. If you have better graphics for use in the game, just send them my way and I'll probably use them.

Specifically, can someone make a better looking oil well? Transparent PNG, around 50x50. You might get a small Geo reward for it. :)

...Some staff lol. Well, sorry for the spam. Hehehe

Snaky.

Bastian
08-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Total oil per 5 minutes < 10, exchange rate is 0.10
Oil > 10 and < 20, exchange rate is 0.08
Oil > 20 and < 30, exchange rate is 0.06
Oil > 30, exchange rate is 0.04

then how can it be 0,05 now? it changed from 0,08 to 0,05 from yesterday to today. did you change something?

birq
08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
it changed from 0,08 to 0,05 from yesterday to today. did you change something?

More people drilling = lower value per barrell. As long as we keep the number of oil wells maxed out, the value will stay low. If he increases the drilling space and allows more wells, the value will drop farther.

Mickey, I have changed my opinion on increasing the drilling area -- I think you should leave it the way it is and let people fight for the space as it opens up because of old wells drying up. If you open more areas to drilling, the value of oil drops so low that wells won't be able to pay for themselves in the long run, which makes them valueless and irrelevant.

d4v3n90r7
08-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Mickey, I have changed my opinion on increasing the drilling area -- I think you should leave it the way it is and let people fight for the space as it opens up because of old wells drying up. If you open more areas to drilling, the value of oil drops so low that wells won't be able to pay for themselves in the long run, which makes them valueless and irrelevant.

I agree, but it will be much more difficult for newbies to hold thier own, they will just get whored by the top players.

birq
08-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I agree, but it will be much more difficult for newbies to hold thier own, they will just get whored by the top players.

Not necessarily, when it comes to the oil wells (I agree that newbies and even long-time players that have all their stuff destroyed are at a major disadvantage to the "superpowers", but I've metioned that before) -- what I mean is that the oil wells only last a few days. If you can't find a spot to drill, hold on to your 50 Geos and wait a few hours and a spot WILL open up.

You will have to search for a spot to drill, but so would any other player. We're all on even footing when it comes to getting oil wells. And unlike the real world, when a well goes dry, the rig disappears and you can drill a new hole on the same spot as the old one and get a new supply of oil.

Once Mickey implements other natural resources that can be exploited, it will probably be the same thing -- first come, first served, and if you didn't get one the first time, check back often and you'll get one eventually.

Mickey
08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Once Mickey implements other natural resources that can be exploited, it will probably be the same thing -- first come, first served, and if you didn't get one the first time, check back often and you'll get one eventually.

It will be hard to prevent a first come, first served situation with pretty much any resource we invent. The only thing we can do it maybe cap it - only allow xx wells at a time per player. While that would help, it's not necessarily fair - if you have the Geos and time to invest, an arbitrary limit seems kind of silly.

birq
08-19-2005, 03:00 PM
While that would help, it's not necessarily fair - if you have the Geos and time to invest, an arbitrary limit seems kind of silly.

It's not fair and it's not realistic (Gasp! Birq supports realism?! :)). Free enterprise and capitalism shouldn't be quashed like that.

Bastian
08-19-2005, 04:28 PM
More people drilling = lower value per barrell. As long as we keep the number of oil wells maxed out, the value will stay low. If he increases the drilling space and allows more wells, the value will drop farther.

i know, but look at the numbers in the quote. there's no 0,05 ;-)
and it dropped from 0,08 to 0,05 in one night, after it stayed at 0,08 for one and a half day

Mickey
08-19-2005, 04:39 PM
You're correct. Here is the current code:

if ($grandtotaloil > 50) {
$exchangerate = .05;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 40) {
$exchangerate = .06;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 30) {
$exchangerate = .07;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 20) {
$exchangerate = .08;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 10) {
$exchangerate = .09;
} else {
$exchangerate = .1;
}

The $grandtotaloil is the number of barrels produced in each five minute calculation. Right now we're running at about 58 barrels per five minutes.

Bastian
08-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Active - Daily Production - Active Until
Yes ------- 37 barrels ---- 22:04:46 - August 20th, 2005

hmm, at my clock it's August 21st. why is this well still active?

Mickey
08-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Active - Daily Production - Active Until
Yes ------- 37 barrels ---- 22:04:46 - August 20th, 2005

hmm, at my clock it's August 21st. why is this well still active?

Small bug. I don't think it was giving you oil for it, but simply hadn't marked it as "inactive". What's it showing now?

Bastian
08-21-2005, 02:58 PM
it's now shown as inactive. but why are inactive wells still shown? shouldn't they be removed, to make space for new wells?

Mickey
08-21-2005, 03:02 PM
it's now shown as inactive. but why are inactive wells still shown? shouldn't they be removed, to make space for new wells?

They essentially are removed - that space on the map is available for others to use. I just leave it in your "oil wells" page in case you want to keep a record of how your other wells did for you.

I may throw a "delete" option in there on the inactive wells for those that want to keep a cleaner page.

Mickey
08-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Updated exchange rate formula:

if ($grandtotaloil > 90) {
$exchangerate = .03;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 80) {
$exchangerate = .035;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 70) {
$exchangerate = .04;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 60) {
$exchangerate = .045;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 50) {
$exchangerate = .05;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 40) {
$exchangerate = .06;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 30) {
$exchangerate = .07;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 20) {
$exchangerate = .08;
} else if ($grandtotaloil > 10) {
$exchangerate = .09;
} else {
$exchangerate = .1;
}

Bastian
08-21-2005, 04:46 PM
the price will never rise again :(

birq
08-21-2005, 04:49 PM
the price will never rise again :(

If we could get the Bush administration playing this game, everyone with an oil well would be filthy rich.

Sorry, I'll leave real-world politics out as much as possible from now on.