PDA

View Full Version : File statistics/downloads (not) counted?

T.Dooley
10-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I wonder why it seems like it's only click on ' Google Earth' on a file, that 'counts' to the file's statistics/download.

And clicks on:
Google Maps
Virtual Earth
Yahoo Maps
GE Plug-in
do not count to the file statistics/downloads.

/Tom

Mickey
10-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Because that's how I wrote it. :)

Do you think those should count?

SpiderX22
10-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, clicking on those links does show your additional interest in the file....so..sure, why not?

T.Dooley
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
...Do you think those should count?

Well, I do not think it's a question to answer with yes or no.

If all submissions always consisted of one and only one placemark, with the primary/only objective to be a link to a position, my answer would be yes.

But that's not the case. GE offers many great features like overlays, tilting view, terrain and play tour of collections of placemarks of which I myself have used intensively in the tours I have made. Tours do not display well or in most cases even give any meaning to all of the 'alternatives' beyond linking to the/some position.

I believe an approach is to analyze the submitted files and catagorize in 'one placemark' and 'multiple placemark' files.

The first give fairly good meaning of counting all 'flat interfaces' clicks/statistics. The latter most likely not. Also it could be interresting to not only see file count but also placemark count or just how many placemarks there is in a given file. A meaningful way could be to built this as an extra count of a file.