PDA

View Full Version : KML and KMZ files

guideman62
08-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Good folks at Google, I would like to add a new file under schools and universities but I'm stumped when it comes down to KML and / or KMZ files. How do I post a new school, or interesting site, for that matter :-?

guideman62
08-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Should have checked the frequently asked questions first. I found the answer to my question there. You have to save the file first. When you do, it gets a .KMZ suffix, then you can add the file. :grin:

araT
08-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Good work! :)

just for a little further info for you, a KML file is just a document containing co-ordinates and icon/label data.. a KMZ is a renamed .zip (so that GE knows it should open it) which contains a kml file and any images you may have used (ie; overlays) - you can get inside your KMZ files just by renaming the suffix .zip :)

Enjoy!, and welcome to GEH :D

T.

qwertz
08-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the tip on converting a KMZ file to ZIP to check it or see it. I've uploaded a couple of files which did not have the overlays included. I thought I had no way of checking this except by trying the file on another computer, but thanks to your tip I can check them easily now.

qwertz
08-29-2005, 05:15 AM
Good work! :)

just for a little further info for you, a KML file is just a document containing co-ordinates and icon/label data.. a KMZ is a renamed .zip (so that GE knows it should open it) which contains a kml file and any images you may have used (ie; overlays) - you can get inside your KMZ files just by renaming the suffix .zip :)

T.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a KML file is also just an XML file and you can get inside these by opening it in any ASCII text editor - e.g. Wordpad, etc., no matter whether it has the XML or KML extension.

araT
08-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Yep! you're dead right.. you can also just open them in notepad ;)

T.

Worldgineer
08-30-2005, 04:29 AM
http://www.keyhole.com/kml/kml_doc.html

qwertz
08-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Thanks Worldgineer,

I have seen that the other day, but I am one of those people that likes to jump into the pool feet first and then look around for the life preserver! It's been interesting learning and now I have a lot more to read. I know HTML so the learning curve is not too bad.

Jens
08-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Perhaps a stupid question (or rather two): Does this mean that I have to post overlays as KMZ files and not as KML? Could that explain why one of my overlays didn't work?

macnetz
08-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Does this mean that I have to post overlays as KMZ files and not as KML?Hi Jens,

yes and no

Yes,
if the overlay itself is included in the KMZ file.

No,
you can use overlays with KML files too - as long as the URL of the overlay is valid. ;)

hth - Anton