PDA

View Full Version : New suggestions

daniel hill
08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
what about:

like in the ral world falling and climbing oil prices so you either get more geo's per oil one day or less on anouther day see my idea?

rasqual
08-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Absolutely. But the world needs a full-blown economy first. It could have one now, even, but Mickey's gotta figure out how to architect it -- where to put the hinges and springs.

Since oil is needed by both the military and industry -- as well as consumers -- it might behoove the game to not only have governments spend money generally to maintain a city's/region's infrastructure, but also there should be some sense in which there's a profound need for refine petroleum products. Cities and armies and industry -- as well as oil companies who explore and drill -- need petrol for engines. Coal, solar, and hydro for power generation.

Thus, since not everyone with big cites also happens to be someone with a lot of oil, cities should need (by organic fact of the game's architecture, whatever it will become) to buy whatever petrol their own government/corporate leadership (us) cannot provide. Our cities don't just need geos (what we pay to service their existence), they need petrol. This isn't entirely about "value" of things -- he who dies with the biggest numbers wins. No. If the guy with the most value doesn't have a tank of gas, he won't be able to be driven to the awards ceremony. ;-)

So imagine the effect on oil prices if the country with whom you had a contract for weekly delivery of 10M barrels of refined petrol, was under threat of attack by someone's advancing troops? The country at risk would want to raise capital to bump it's armies to defend its fields, and thus the buying cities would have to pay more until the threat disappeared. Uncertainty about what might happen if the conqueror respected no contracts and demanded much higher prices, would increase demand NOW and increase prices "naturally" anyway. Etc.

Etc.

elk-tamer
08-20-2005, 11:22 PM
How about tying the game's economy to the real word economy? Oil prices could be the latest price from a real world market quote. Actions in the game wouldn't correctly affect the price of oil, but it would open up a lot of possibilities without having to maintain a complex model.

rasqual
08-21-2005, 07:19 AM
This is where it'd be great to have a world-wide data layer -- not the encrypted google kind, but a network link with data Mickey's server-side could exploit. Differing prices and exchange rates for things around the globe would make this interesting, too.

qrnster
08-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Still, even if we connect it to the world economy, we don't have anywhere near the amount of industries that affect the global economy. I think the conversion rates should work based on the amount of the demand.
For example, if a lot of jewels were found one day, the jewels would be worth less geos, and visa-versa. Also, it could work with oil wells and cotton plants- how many demands for oil wells and cotton plants were there? This would control the conversion rates, as would the amount of time you were allowed before buying another oil well. Also, I think that there should be more oil fields, in Alaska, and Venezuela. And other types of industries such as tourism should be included. I also think that you should be able to turn off the lines that are used to connect up your cities. Trade routes would be another good idea, as would an animation (possibly as an overlay- a GIF Image Sequence would do even though it is basic) of your armies going along trade routes or roads to get to their destination. Also, (I don't know about this for sure as I do not have an oil well) oil wells should have an expiry date so that new people can get on the oil fields. Ideally, that won't have to be implemented because there will be enough oil fields in the right places. Also, fighting for territories and not just cities is an idea, and the person with the most territories (or biggest population or value) should be able to control a country, and take armies from players inside that country who are the minority, for their own use. However, if this was the case, the extra armies at your disposal would only be called up when required- therefore causing a slight time delay in getting to locations, and providing the minority territories of a country more time with their armies. Anyway, good luck with GEWar and well done for what you have already acheived!

rasqual
08-24-2005, 10:00 PM
A lotta good ideas. Mickey, by tonight? ;-)

qrnster
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM
I like the nuke ideas you posted somewhere else as well. We could have other different weapons too. I could create a GIF Image Sequence as an overlay- the only thing is I wouldn't know how to make the overlay appear at the right place corresponding to where everyone's armies are, or when to make the overlays appear- (it would probably require a network link). it would be really cool if I could get an .swf flash file as an overlay, or a fireworks html overlay (a possible way around having to make a network link- though I am not sure). Also, a industry that would possibly be easier than anything else would be the gold industry. As you may have noticed, there is tons of gold just showing up on to the satellite image a bit south of the oil fields. There could be some gold mines there.