PDA

View Full Version : Middle East physical features

PThompson-Burke
03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm a new Google Earth user as well and am new to this forum. I teach 7th Grade Geography and would like to use Google Earth to introduce students to the physical features of the region, but I'm not sure where to begin. I haven't had much luck with Google Earth Lesson Forums. Does anybody have any ideas for other venues where I should search?
Thanks!

Appletom
03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't entirely understand the question. What exactly are you looking to show your students with Google Earth?

SpiderX22
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly you are looking for Geographical features (mountains, rivers, etc). Looking at the Middle East with Google Earth in terms of these features is at best mediocre.. there are large swaths of low resolution imagery, and the Middle East is relatively flat to begin with so there aren't many mountains to look at. Rivers aren't well visible either.

However, it is possible. Navigate your way to "Layers", then expand "Places of Interest" then activate "Geographic Features." You may have to zoom in a ways to see anything and most of the results are not in English (Arabic, presumably).

In conclusion, for your purpose (seeing Geographical Features of the Middle East), Google Earth can do it, but the resolution and terrain are minimal: Google Earth probably isn't the proper tool.