PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

Jrod
11-13-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm hoping somebody on here is a linux user. I need some help.

Today I logged into Gos which is ubuntu based and my screen resolution had changed to a higher resolution. When I went to go change it the screen changed to where I can't see what I'm doing.

I'm trying to figure out how I could change to screen resolution within the terminal. I can still see the log in screen and change the session to failsafe terminal. I just can't find or figure out the correct syntax to change to screen resolution. I am somewhat a novice to linux, and enjoying more than windows.

If anybody can help or point me in the right direction I would be most appreciated and would be in debt to you, cause I don't want to reinstall it to fix it. Thank you.

T.Dooley
11-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Hi

I'm not a Linux power user but I believe you can try using the command xrandr

without parameters it gives you the supported resolutions, and you can set the resolution using:

xrandr -s <resolution index from the resolutions list>
or
xrandr -s <x_res>*<y_res>

if you need more informations take a look at
man xrandr

Jrod
11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks was able to get it resolved. Had issues with getting the syntax just right. Not a big linux user but I'm starting to like it. Thanks for the help.

T.Dooley
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
...starting to like it...

Glad you got it right. Agree the "never forgiving" strict syntax is maybe one of the hardest part of being a linux/unix user, linux/unix is a great operating system getting better and better on the desktop, by every release :-)