PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Lines Surrounding Building in Long Beach

Forkboy2
02-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Here's a strange one. Go to the location of the placemark attached. Notice the many strange lines on the ground that surround the building to the south and west? What do you think caused the lines? I have a theory. But I'll wait and see if anyone else has a guess at the cause.

Part 2....Notice anything strange in the area of the building on the aerial dated December 31, 2004?

Munden
02-15-2010, 05:04 AM
Those pale lines are just sunlight reflecting from the mirrored windows of the office. I really like the way they cross each other in the section where the building's wall gets wavy. :)

Forkboy2
02-15-2010, 05:10 AM
Yep, that's what I was thinking also. But, I'm not sure if the lines actually exist on the ground, or if they are some kind of photographic anomaly, perhaps something like lens flare.

Munden
02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Yep, that's what I was thinking also. But, I'm not sure if the lines actually exist on the ground, or if they are some kind of photographic anomaly, perhaps something like lens flare.

They actually exist on the ground. I know I've worked in buildings with mirrored windows like that and they do cast strange light reflections on the ground. You can note that the side of the building that's casting the rays of light is actually hidden from the aerial camera, so there wouldn't be any flashes of light from the windows aimed at the camera to cause a lens flare. That's a good thought process to consider all possibilities, though! :)