PDA

View Full Version : How does the Google Earth blurring process work?

flyguy2010
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
How exactly does the process of intentional blurring of Google Earth imagery work? Is it something an agency/company can request to have done.

I can understand blurring sensitive locations such as nuclear power plants and airports, but a recent satellite trip up Long Island Sound left me wondering why a small wastewater-treatment plant in New Rochelle, NY has been blurred, but places like LaGuardia and and Kennedy Intl airports are not. An airport must be a juicier target for a potential terrorist attack, so if blurring is done for security reasons, the prioritization of locations to be blurred seems to be a bit skewed.

That led me to wonder if blurring Google Earth is done at the request of an agency or company.

-flyguy2010

Munden
06-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Generally, Google doesn't blur any of the overhead imagery. New York State is one example where the blurring was done by the supplier of the data, namely the State itself. They were the ones who decided to blur out much of the infrastructure. Water treatment facilities are considered to be 'Sensitive' by governments because they're important to the general populace and can cause great harm to a large number if they're compromised in some way. (such as some sort of poison or biological agent being put into the water)