PDA

View Full Version : how can I create an overlay

guidoht
08-23-2005, 12:04 PM
hello,
how can I create an overlay, do I need special software, is there an instruction ?

thanx g.

araT
08-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi!

Firstly, Welcome to GEH :D

Simply go to the "Add" menu up the top & select Overlay!
You dont need any extra software and it can be done from the free version of GE

Enjoy! :)

T.

guidoht
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
hi,

thanks for your fast answer, i see, its really simple !

qrnster
08-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm desperate to try and find a way of getting an swf (Flash) file as an overlay. It would be so good for events in history- imagine an animation of D-Day as an overlay! I did see that some people were able to get webcame as overlays, and this definetly suggest that these overlays are not only image overlays. Is there any way of doing this. I only have the standard Google Earth- perhaps this is the problem. An swf overlay could also be really good for GEWar. You could have an animation of two politicians meeting- or of an army setting off from your city on their mission, and their attack (or defence) of a city. It would be really great if this is possible. However, if it isn't, I will just have to use a rubbish old GIF image sequence- painstakingly long to create, and not that good anyhow. It would be so good if it were possible to get a swf- or any sort of simulation file- as an overlay. Does anyone know how to do it- or has an idea of how do it>

jken0411
08-29-2005, 06:31 AM
First post.....
This is interesting to know - have been using GE for a few months, and have often wondered how I might overlay a county with the township range grids. I study Genealogy, and this feature would be very useful in studying the old land records. Would I first need an image (GIF or JPG) with them drawn in, and then overlay it? I didn't seem to see how to draw anything in the Overlay option under Add.

Ken Hollingsworth

Hi!

Firstly, Welcome to GEH :D

Simply go to the "Add" menu up the top & select Overlay!
You dont need any extra software and it can be done from the free version of GE

Enjoy! :)

T.

araT
08-29-2005, 06:32 AM
Glad I could help you, Ken! :D

T.

kneb
09-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Iv added an overlay of the current sat scans to GE but the scaling is wrong, is there any tools I can use to match it with the actual continent. Or do i need to geth e actual range the satelite scaned.

araT
09-05-2005, 05:36 AM
You can resize the overlay while you are editing it by dragging any of the four corners, you can also rotate it by using that little diamond shaped part to the left of the centre of the image!

T.

tuzgu05
09-05-2005, 09:30 AM
How could I download more than one image at a time from google earth hacks?

Genosse Pumuckl
09-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Impossible.

Or you download a file with several overlays in it. :spin:

nosher44
09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
how do you create 1 file with several overlays? What's the filetype? :)

Thanks!

araT
09-06-2005, 11:35 AM
nosher, create a folder in 'my places' and simply put all the overlays in the folder, when you are done, right-click the folder and save as! :)

T.

nosher44
09-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Fab thanks! :)

anthonyeeles
09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm desperate to try and find a way of getting an swf (Flash) file as an overlay

Do animated GIF's work - haven't got one to hand to find out - just an idea for you

araT
09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Nope, no animations in GE yet, it will just display the first frame :(

definately no flash/.swfs :(

T.