PDA

View Full Version : Armies on the move

birq
08-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Feature request:
On the city detail page, it shows whether you have armies in the vicinity or on the way. It would be interesting to me to see who ELSE has armies waiting at the gates or on the way. Since this is public information through the GE interface, there's no harm in adding it to the web interface as well.

Bug?:
Also, I changed the direction of a couple of my armies about 10 minutes ago, and on my army summary page it still shows the old destination. As a matter of fact, they're almost to the new city and it still shows the old information.

rasqual
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Hmmm. I agree with Birq, but as the game develops there's something else to consider.

If Mickey can get to a point where changes are rare and well-documented, I can see third-party information management tools coming into play. On the long view, that is -- presuming GEwar is here to stay, and isn't just an exercise in exploring GE's potential in fun ways (which is the principal value I, as a non-gamer, find in it).

Seriously. On the one hand, it's very useful to keep people in the GE interface from my view, because it forces Mickey to think about how to make the game more UI-centric with respect to GE. On the other hand, the kinds of third-party information management tools that could be created, relieving Mickey of the burden for "back-end" information presentation, staggers the imagination. I mean, really. It's all XML!

BTW Mickey, my own scripts have almost entirely worked with the data as XML. Some scraping needed here and there, but let's face it -- this is some friendly stuff!

Mickey
08-24-2005, 02:15 AM
Feature request:
On the city detail page, it shows whether you have armies in the vicinity or on the way. It would be interesting to me to see who ELSE has armies waiting at the gates or on the way. Since this is public information through the GE interface, there's no harm in adding it to the web interface as well.
Good idea. It's on the to-do list.

Bug?:
Also, I changed the direction of a couple of my armies about 10 minutes ago, and on my army summary page it still shows the old destination. As a matter of fact, they're almost to the new city and it still shows the old information.
I can't duplicate this problem. Can you do it again? If so, tell me step-by-step what you did so I can track it down.

Thanks,
Mickey

birq
08-24-2005, 02:21 AM
I can't duplicate this problem. Can you do it again? If so, tell me step-by-step what you did so I can track it down.

I haven't seen it since then, and it seemed to go away when the armies got to their destination. I'll let you know if I see it again.