PDA

View Full Version : Nuke idea

rasqual
08-23-2005, 03:51 PM
How about having Nukes travel -- fast. Leaving a trail. And doggonit, they need to do a great circle! ;-) Pole-crossing, and so forth.

This would promote more frequent engagement with the game (in other words, fortunate players wouldn't have a life ;-)

You launch a nuke from your home base. The RANGE the nuke can travel is a function of how much you paid for the technological infrastructure to build such weapons. IOW, you don't buy nukes anymore -- you pay into an infrastructure that can produce X number of nukes every whatever period. You can trade off range against numbers of weapons. For example, if you invest 1000 Geos in your nuclear infrastructure, let's say that can produce 10 tactical nukes (limited to 1/5 earth circumfrence range) a month -- or 1 strategic nuke that can cross the planet. Or 2 mid-range ballistic that'll go 1/3 circumfrences.

Something like that.

Armies in cities would have time, if they saw this coming, to "take cover." This wouldn't save them entirely, but it would reduce their casualties. Armies that didn't see it coming would be utterly lost.

Just a thought. My thinking is so often on how one needs to think more strategically if one's options are merely regional -- if geography limits a person. The temptation in the GE UI is to make the world players' oysters -- but that's not real. As ever, that's one of my concerns.

His Lord Uberdude
08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
How about having Nukes travel -- fast. Leaving a trail. And doggonit, they need to do a great circle! ;-) Pole-crossing, and so forth.

This would promote more frequent engagement with the game (in other words, fortunate players wouldn't have a life ;-)

You launch a nuke from your home base. The RANGE the nuke can travel is a function of how much you paid for the technological infrastructure to build such weapons. IOW, you don't buy nukes anymore -- you pay into an infrastructure that can produce X number of nukes every whatever period. You can trade off range against numbers of weapons. For example, if you invest 1000 Geos in your nuclear infrastructure, let's say that can produce 10 tactical nukes (limited to 1/5 earth circumfrence range) a month -- or 1 strategic nuke that can cross the planet. Or 2 mid-range ballistic that'll go 1/3 circumfrences.

Something like that.

Armies in cities would have time, if they saw this coming, to "take cover." This wouldn't save them entirely, but it would reduce their casualties. Armies that didn't see it coming would be utterly lost.

Just a thought. My thinking is so often on how one needs to think more strategically if one's options are merely regional -- if geography limits a person. The temptation in the GE UI is to make the world players' oysters -- but that's not real. As ever, that's one of my concerns.

I like it. Adding more dimensions to the nukes is always good. Just launching a bomb that could leave a city hazardous for 10,000 years in real life, doesn't work too well.