PDA

View Full Version : Time Slider puzzle

terrypin
11-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I asked this in the main GE Help forum a week ago but had no replies. (I've also just posted in the KML forum.) Can one of the experts here explain it please?

Why does the left marker in the Time Slider sometimes (not always!) start following behind the main marker? I can't make any sense of it and see nothing relevant in the GE Help pages.

This happens whether I'm playing the path automatically or dragging the main marker manually. The LH marker sometimes stays put at home base, but often gets up and trots along at a fixed distance behind! I suspect there's some key point I haven't grasped about this time slider facility.

Here's a screenshot in case my terminology isn't clear
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-TimeSliderPuzzle.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Appletom
11-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I can't duplicate this. Are you playing a tour when it happens? Is it repeatable if you are in the same location?

terrypin
11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I can't duplicate this. Are you playing a tour when it happens? Is it repeatable if you are in the same location?

Thanks Appletom. No, not playing a tour. Not sure what you mean by your second question. This is the behaviour with an imported GPX file.

It's a difficult one, as the behaviour seems to change as I drag or play or move the two markers. I also meant to add that sometimes I also even get the blue arrow going backwards, ie. blunt end first!

Also, I usually want the arrow to 'trace' the path, so that the path colour appears cumulatively behind it. This seems unpredictable too. If I start with both markers together on the left and press the play icon, the two move rightwards together and the path does not appear. If I fiddle around so that there's a tiny gap at the start, then I can normally get the correct result. In short, I just don't understand 'the rules', and I can't find anything in the user guide.

Perhaps you (anyone) could find a few minutes to experiment by importing this GPX file into GE please?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/TimeSliderPuzzle.gpx

--

Appletom
11-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I didn't know it was a gpx track, no wonder my second question didn't make sense.

There are actually two sliders, the front point and the back point. The front point is the bigger one. To keep them together, take the front point and put it near the middle, then pull the back point to the right until it meets the front point—now they are locked together.

When locked and playing the tour or moving the slider, they stay together and none of your path shows during the tour.

To unlock them, move them to the middle again and push the smaller (the back) piece to the left. Now when you play the tour (or move the front slider) they stay locked together but at the same distance apart. And your tour line shows up only for the prescribed time frame.

To test, make sure they are locked together and move the right slider to the middle. Move the left one back 30 minutes. Now as you move the big one, the smaller one stays 30 minutes behind and your trail shows a 30 minutes length.

To always show the full trail and take the back slider out of play, move the big one all the way to the right, then move the small one all the way to the left. Now the entire tour path will show up at all times as you move the big slider around.

Make sense?

terrypin
11-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Many thanks Appletom, you're a star!

That's been vexing me for ages. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place, but I couldn't see that level of detail in the GE Help/User Guide. Your instructions would be a very helpful addition IMO.

--

Appletom
11-07-2010, 02:10 AM
I've never read Google's instructions or guides, I just played with it until the slider properties made sense. Glad I was able to help.