PDA

View Full Version : CNN Interview

Mickey
08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
I was interviewed by CNN this afternoon about Google Earth and Google Earth Hacks. The bulk of the interview was dealing with security (<a href="http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777">like this</a>) and whether Google Earth was giving out too much info to terrorists and such.

We also went through a number of files on the site (weather overlays, wi-fi hotspots, other overlays, network links, GEwar, etc) to show some things you can do with GE that most people don't know about.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but didn't figure it would last more than about 30 minutes or so. Instead, it took about 2-1/2 hours! Lots of lights and stuff to get set-up...

They are interviewing others for the piece, so I have no idea how much I'll be in there. The spot should air tomorrow evening (Wed, Aug. 24) on CNN at either 8:00 or 10:00 pm EST. I think it'll be available on their site as a streaming file as well. I'll post more details as they become available.

Steeefan
08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, very cool! :)

Stadsman
08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow, great news! Congrats. Probably your first time on CNN?

Mickey
08-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Probably your first time on CNN?

Yep. Very first. It should be cool.

SnakeMan
08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I was interviewed by CNN this afternoon about Google Earth and Google Earth Hacks. The bulk of the interview was dealing with security (like this (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777)) and whether Google Earth was giving out too much info to terrorists and such.

No... wait... :D (lol) or this :-)) (hehehe).

Well, gratz for u Micky! And how they know that we are giving too much "info" to terrorist, darn... it's anyone here a terrorist? Please, if u are one say "hello". =op

Snaky.

Kelly
08-23-2005, 09:43 PM
I am sooooooooooo proud of my honey. :D

Steeefan
08-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Can you record it and create a VCD or a DivX or some? Dunno if that's gonna be on air in Germany but I surely wanna see it.

Mickey
08-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Can you record it and create a VCD or a DivX or some? Dunno if that's gonna be on air in Germany but I surely wanna see it.

It should be streamable on CNN.com sometime tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I also plan on saving it on my Tivo and making a DivX avi from it. :)

Stadsman
08-23-2005, 09:56 PM
I guess we can expect a whole bunch of new members due to this media exposure. First Steeefan in Focus, now Mickey on CNN.

Mickey
08-24-2005, 12:30 AM
First Steeefan in Focus, now Mickey on CNN.

And we had an article in New Scientist, although I haven't read it yet - it's for subscribers only. They're supposed to be sending me a copy of it:
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/mg18725126.200

heber
08-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Mickey rocks.

araT
08-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Congrats Mickey :D I cant wait to see it!

Maybe I should do a nudie run down Bondi Beach with googleearthhacks.com written all over me.. that should surely bring more aussies :p

T.

Beezer
08-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Congrats!!!

If you can't pull it off your TiVo for some reason, let me know. I'll be recording it on my DVR and I should be able to pull it off there.

This is awesome news for you and the site!!

Rock on!!!

Raven
08-24-2005, 06:33 AM
I found this site purely accidently while logging in for the google site. How lucky was that. I think this site is awesome, and so do my friends and family that I have shown. I hope to see the CNN interview. What a great idea.
I spend hours flying around the world. I love this site.

araT
08-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Raven; Welcome to GEH :D glad you love it here like we all do :)
I'm going to have to start up GoogleEarthAnonymous methinks.. I have seperation anxiety from my computer these days.. lol

Spread the word! we all wish you many an hour/day/sleepless night here ;) :cool:

T.

GeoBlogs
08-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Well done Mickey!
I shall try to catch it over here in the UK...

aquastor
08-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Congrats Mickey :D I cant wait to see it!

Maybe I should do a nudie run down Bondi Beach with googleearthhacks.com written all over me.. that should surely bring more aussies :p

T.

Hell, it'd probably bring more Americans as well :D

Mickey
08-25-2005, 01:03 AM
It sounds like the story on CNN has been held up. :( I guess one of their other interviews wasn't strong enough so they'll either re-shoot it or just shelve the whole thing.

I'm quite disappointed - that was a big chunk of time I invested in that!

schadenfreude52
08-25-2005, 02:47 AM
It sounds like the story on CNN has been held up. :( I guess one of their other interviews wasn't strong enough so they'll either re-shoot it or just shelve the whole thing.

aww man... was looking forward to that

araT
08-25-2005, 02:52 AM
:whoa: That sucks Mick :crysmilie

**** those paparazzi bastards...
*Tara Shakes Fist

T.

Appletom
08-25-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm going to have to start up GoogleEarthAnonymous
Sign me up :spin:

Beezer
08-25-2005, 03:13 AM

I was looking forward to this. Keep us updated on when its going to air.

Oh, and I'll be needing to sign up for GoogleEarthAnonymous. ;)

Appletom
08-25-2005, 03:29 AM
While we're at it, where do we sign up for GoogleEarthHacksAnonymous? I'm in Las Vegas and I'm in my room on a laptop surfing GEH instead of playing blackjack. What's wrong with this picture?

Beezer
08-25-2005, 03:47 AM
While we're at it, where do we sign up for GoogleEarthHacksAnonymous? I'm in Las Vegas and I'm in my room on a laptop surfing GEH instead of playing blackjack. What's wrong with this picture?

LOL! Looks like you have an addiction!!

Scott_Mellen
08-25-2005, 12:39 PM

I hope it come around and they show it. Way to go!!!!

RKR
09-03-2005, 07:45 AM
I was interviewed by CNN this afternoon about Google Earth and Google Earth Hacks. The bulk of the interview was dealing with security (like this (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777)) and whether Google Earth was giving out too much info to terrorists and such.

We also went through a number of files on the site (weather overlays, wi-fi hotspots, other overlays, network links, GEwar, etc) to show some things you can do with GE that most people don't know about.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but didn't figure it would last more than about 30 minutes or so. Instead, it took about 2-1/2 hours! Lots of lights and stuff to get set-up...

They are interviewing others for the piece, so I have no idea how much I'll be in there. The spot should air tomorrow evening (Wed, Aug. 24) on CNN at either 8:00 or 10:00 pm EST. I think it'll be available on their site as a streaming file as well. I'll post more details as they become available.

I saw the CNN coverage of the tragic events in New Orleans last night. And although there was no interview with you, Mickey, than they used GE for showing locations in New Orleans and it seemed to me that their prersentation was based on using some of the files from GEH. Off course I cant say for sure, but..

In some way I find this even better and a finer acknowledgment of your work although an interview with you would have been great. But perhaps the events will make it natural to broadcast the interview - who knows

Appletom
09-03-2005, 02:11 PM

Hey - now is the time to email your CNN contact and show them the Katrina areas of GEH. Maybe they will rethink the interview and air it or even interview you again.

hypeserver
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
bravo mickey bravo you've made the site big just within a few months.

araT
09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Great idea Appletom!

Unfortunately CNN beat us to it.. they got the overlays from http://earth.google.com/katrina.html Theyve been using it the last 2 or so days, Ive seen it a few times by now

But its still a good idea to run it by your contact!

T.

RKR
09-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but thats in Australia. In Europe, you see, things are quite different;) ....

But anyway, we would prefer to see the interview, now when the issues can be directly linked with actual news coverage. So go for it Mickey

araT
09-03-2005, 02:40 PM
RKR: its called Cable TV, and its international :p

But I totally agree, I just dont think its going to be the first time CNN see it, losing the wow factor.. but theres still a good chance they'll take Mickey up! and it cant hurt to try after all ;)

T.