PDA

View Full Version : Adusting position of labels?

terrypin
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to change the relative position of a placemark's label please? At the least, I'd like to be able to switch it from the right of the icon, where it gets placed by default, to the left, such as for screenshot purposes.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

T.Dooley
03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
I have not found any way to ajust the way labels are displayed. In current version GE (6.0.1.2032) they even can disappear when looking at placemarks from certain distances.

The only way to partially control label display is to zoom in, then trying to "tilt" the display from side to side with your mouse until the placemark label (may) move to 'the other side'

terrypin
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks. That's a pity - I was hoping there might be some clever hack with KML.

--

Appletom
03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Simple.

Make a duplicate of your kml file. Open the original file, then open the duplicate file. The original now has its label on the left side of the placemark and the duplicate has its label on the right side of the placemark.

Turn off the visibility of the duplicate file and the label stays on the left side of the pin.

Take your screenshot.

terrypin
03-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Brilliant, thanks!

And although I'm not currently at my PC, I expect minor variations on that approach might allow placement at other positions, such as above, below, or intermediate. Not sure what will happen when you move or rotate, but will experiment asap.

--

Appletom
03-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Looks like the limit is four labels.