PDA

View Full Version : Rant - Forced Install of Google Chrome

Appletom
04-23-2011, 12:21 PM
What a crappy way of doing business. I downloaded Google Earth 6 and it installed Chrome without asking me if I wanted it. Even worse, it reset my default browser to Chrome without my permission.

Isn't this the tactic sleazy software companies use to put stuff on your computer? I expected more from Google.

sladys
04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I didn't have that problem. It seems like you forgot to unmark the Get Google Crome thingys in the center of the screen.

Appletom
04-23-2011, 12:50 PM
After uninstalling version 6 I found the two already-checked-for-me check boxes that I missed the first time. I'm usually more aware while downloading and installing to look for crapware install. However, usually it is in the install process itself, not options selected before the download even begins.

This sleazy behavior is what Yahoo uses to install their "Ask" toolbar, something nobody would ever install on purpose-so the only way to distribute it is to trick people into installing it. I expected better from Google.

Forkboy2
04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
If that's what it takes to help keep Google Earth free, then I have no problem with it.

terrypin
05-09-2011, 06:12 AM
If that's what it takes to help keep Google Earth free, then I have no problem with it.

Not me, I'm with Appletom. I resent having to be constantly alert for this sort of default installation of software. Choices should be clear and up front.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK