PDA

View Full Version : Resources

War_Peace
08-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Let's make a few things clear shall we? "Yes we shall, yes we shall" :) !??...

Ok, now:

- There are 3 "special" cities providing Geos for their owners at the moment.

- Do they give a share from the currently planted fields/wells/mines or do they give a share from a stable amount which is the total theoretical capacity of those? If so, this means that the amount of the Geos won't change whether there are 0 or 1000 oil wells planted.

- Let's forget the diamonds and the question above for a moment and compare the cotton and oil. Do I earn the exact same amount from an oil well and a cotton field? Do I earn the exact same amount from Atlanta and Riyadh all the time or do I earn the exact same amount if only there are for example 1000 oil wells and 1000 cotton fields planted on those cities?

- Let's remember the diamonds now and compare them all. Will I earn the same amount from a diamond mine, a cotton field and an oil well? A diamond well worths 50 geos and at the end it will provide 260 carats: 104 Geos in 10 days! (What an investment) Will I earn 104 Geos from the other two?

*Obviously, I am waiting the first entry from Mickey...

rasqual
08-29-2005, 03:52 PM
??

Resources instances vary in duration and payout, so it's not clear how your questions could be answered.

I could be mistaken, but isn't it pretty clear that the percentages taken by the city owners are a percentage of the take, not the capacity of the field?

Again, I could be mistaken but I have a feeling there IS no "capacity" of a field. I'd guess he coded the duration and payout of wells entirely independent of some actual pool of oil in the ground, so to speak.

HTH

War_Peace
08-29-2005, 04:07 PM
You may hope that helps but it won't :)

Checking your messages would help me though...

Mickey
08-29-2005, 04:12 PM
- Do they give a share from the currently planted fields/wells/mines or do they give a share from a stable amount which is the total theoretical capacity of those?
They take a share of the current total income derived from all of the fields/wells/mines. For example, as of right now there is 55.03 pounds of cotton being generated every five minutes. As a result, the owner of Atlanta is getting a bonus of about 2.75 pounds every five minutes.

Let's forget the diamonds and the question above for a moment and compare the cotton and oil. Do I earn the exact same amount from an oil well and a cotton field?
Nope. I've laid out the differences in various posts, but I'll try to put them all together in one place shortly. The rough idea is that a typical oil well will generate more per day than a cotton field but last for a shorter duration.

Do I earn the exact same amount from Atlanta and Riyadh all the time or do I earn the exact same amount if only there are for example 1000 oil wells and 1000 cotton fields planted on those cities?
It is a combination of the number of fields/wells/mines as well as the output of those items. Every five minutes, the the numbers are crunched and the resources are given out. It keeps track of the total resources being given out and gives 5% to the owner of the magic city.

Let's remember the diamonds now and compare them all. Will I earn the same amount from a diamond mine, a cotton field and an oil well? A diamond well worths 50 geos and at the end it will provide 260 carats: 104 Geos in 10 days! (What an investment) Will I earn 104 Geos from the other two?
In theory, they'll work out as approximately equal investments. However, it's all a gamble. For example, a cotton field will produce between 10 and 100 pounds of cotton per day and last for 20 to 90 days. That means you might get one that only gives back 200 pounds of cotton, but you might get one that gives back 9000 pounds of cotton. I'm trying to balance it where a typical oil well will earn as much as a typical cotton field, etc.

Again, I could be mistaken but I have a feeling there IS no "capacity" of a field. I'd guess he coded the duration and payout of wells entirely independent of some actual pool of oil in the ground, so to speak.
In theory, I guess there is a "capacity", although it's not used for much. Using our cotton field example above, you could say that the capacity of a cotton field is 9000 pounds, as that's the most you could earn. However, your odds of getting a 9000 pound field is around 1/6000, given all of the various duration possibilites (20 to 90 days) factored in with the output possibilities (10 to 100 pounds daily).

War_Peace
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
At this very moment, Cape Town provides less Geos to its owner then the other 2 cities beacuse of the tiny number of mines?

Mickey
08-29-2005, 06:04 PM
At this very moment, Cape Town provides less Geos to its owner then the other 2 cities beacuse of the tiny number of mines?

Correct. While I won't give out the exact numbers all the time, I'll use the excuse that we're still in beta to give them out now. :)

Total oil output every 5 minutes: 103.14236111111 barrels.

Total cotton output every 5 minutes: 55.75 pounds.

Total diamond output every 5 minutes: 13.75 carats.

The owner of the respective cities gets 5% of those totals every five minutes. Of course, you need to factor in the exchange rates to really know what they're worth.

War_Peace
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Total oil output every 5 minutes: 103.14236111111 barrels.

Total cotton output every 5 minutes: 55.75 pounds.

Total diamond output every 5 minutes: 13.75 carats.

There are programmed total outputs. The question is: Does the owner of the cities get for example 13.75 x 0.05(%5 which is the current rate) = 0,6875 carats per 5 minutes regardless the current amount of mines that are being dug?

rasqual
08-29-2005, 06:38 PM
W&P -

I don't think there ARE any planted mines. They're instanced for the first time when created.

And yeah, I keep forgetting about private messages. I'm too embarrassed to ask Mickey to come up with a "grab me by the eyeballs" feature for that status section, though. ;-)

Mickey
08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Does the owner of the cities get for example 13.75 x 0.05(%5 which is the current rate) = 0,6875 carats per 5 minutes regardless the current amount of mines that are being dug?

Yes. The number of mines is irrelevent. The mines that have been produced by the users are earning a grand total of 13.75 carats per minute. The owner of Cape Town gets 5% of that.

If no one digs any new mines, the existing mines eventually will fade away, and the owner of Cape Town will then get 0 carats.

On the other hand, as more people dig mines, more diamonds will come in. Say that rate goes up to 20 total carats per five minutes - the owner of Cape Town will then get 1 carat every five minutes.