PDA

View Full Version : Jewel hunting/mining.

qrnster
08-29-2005, 11:48 PM
Could there possibly be a system, where you could buy jewel hunting mining

kmls, (with Geos, of course) where the game mines for itself. It would render

all of the cheating scripts useless- and those who cheat could probably spare

the money needed for a jewel hunting mines (say 300 geos?). If that idea was

put through, you should also be able to upgrade to say 1.5 times as fast, for

something like 450 Geos, and so on and so forth. Therefore, if you were to go

out one day, you would still have some money for recovering any losses, or

building on a plan. Though it eliminates the jewel hunting idea when you are

supposed to hunt for jewels, the current hunting system is boring. Perhaps

you could have the system above, and also, upgrade on it, by making it really

hard to find very valuable jewels (say, worth 50 Geos). They could be at

really cool locations in the world. Of course, if someone were to hack into

such a system so that they can download a jewel hunting mining kml, that

would be absolutely despicable and a very secure system would have to be in

place. I just think this is a great way of taking out the boredom of jewel

hunting and almost certainly eliminate cheaters. It should also not matter if

some people get super fast kml jewel hunting mining (like 5x) because

currently, it's hard to get a thousand troops. In the real world, it goes to more

like half a million.

What do you think? Would it work? And is it possible?

qrnster
08-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Anyone?

Mickey
08-30-2005, 12:11 AM
It's a good idea, but I'm not sure how easily it could be implemented.

Ideally, people wanting to make big money will create multiple cotton fields, oil wells, diamond mines and whatever else I dream up. I want jewels to eventually exist solely to help people get started or get back on their feet.

qrnster
08-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Would it be secure to offer a file that you download for your own Geos. An
idea would be if you could make a registration system- you have to register the kml file to use
it- and the registration number shouldn't be something simple like the code used to refer to a player- but any random letters and numbers. This way, if someone
were to send the kml to someone else, the other person wouldn't be able to use
it. And the same registration code should not be used for multiple users.
Technically, it could work. But the more I think about it the more difficult it
seems to implement.

qrnster
08-30-2005, 12:20 AM
It will stop cheating, (though there can be other ways of doing this) the only other reason I suggest it is because cotton and oil space is low and jewels are very valuable compared. The other alternative is to make jewel hunting interesting, by hiding jewels (and giving a slight hint of their whereabouts) and make the jewels very valuable (like 100 Geos). Even though that would mean more money gains for people who can't find oil and cotton space, it also would not restrict cheating.

rasqual
08-30-2005, 12:30 AM
How about this -- new players get a start-up allowance, and it's up toi them to invest it well in the world's opportunities. Jewel hunting is made even more painful, as the only possible means to recover if you founder.

We're in beta, still, so this would be implemented now for new players and anyone possessing less than the allowance, but when the beta's over the world begins again anyway, with everyone having a clean slate.

Maybe the start-up allowance ought to be related in some way to the average net worth of all existing players. Something dynamic that way. I dunno.

There's definitely some possibilities to explore here. Some tough problems. But in most games I know, everyone gets some initial allowance. Mickey just figured if everyone could search for and find their own allowance, that'd do the trick. But maybe that's not the best approach. Maybe just handing it out would be best.

Actually, maybe giving people assets of appropriate value would be best. Newcomers get two mines, an oil field, three cotton fields, a wafer fab, and so forth. A couple hundred geos so they can make choices about further investments.

Dunno. Anyone else?

rasqual
08-30-2005, 12:36 AM
It will stop cheating, (though there can be other ways of doing this) the only other reason I suggest it is because cotton and oil space is low and jewels are very valuable compared. The other alternative is to make jewel hunting interesting, by hiding jewels (and giving a slight hint of their whereabouts) and make the jewels very valuable (like 100 Geos). Even though that would mean more money gains for people who can't find oil and cotton space, it also would not restrict cheating.

Make the statistical ease of finding jewels a function of some quality of the game that needs to find greater emphasis. For example, if people are fighting all the time, the ease of finding jewels would be an inverse function of how belligerent a person is. Peacemakers would be rewarded, and thereby their influence would expand, whereas warmongers would have a harder time sustaining their campaigns.

The "god option" for system architecture parameters will always need to be in play. Making the algorithms tractable enough so that Mickey can grok 'em completely, all the time (the omniscience burden of such a deity), and few enough to balance the world well, is quite a challenge.

qrnster
08-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Giving assets may be a better idea- such as one oil field, one cotton plant, and one diamond mine. Currently, we kind of get startup resources anyway- 20 barrels of oil. But I am sure, as most people will agree, jewel hunting is probably their largest source of income.

anthonyeeles
09-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Perhaps start the game like Age of Empires, where you can choose an 'easy' game or a 'hard' one, and get given different starting allowances, but then thos who opted for more resources at the start, get 'punished' by earning less from their resources later on - this would enable people who couldn't spend loads of time getting stuck into the game to still make a start?

Lukepuuk
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Maybe we shouldn't change the jewel system, but just keep on expanding new ways for making Geo's. There has to be a way for newbies and for people who lost it all to earn a lot of geo's again by doing some hard boring work.
I did give more ideas...like a dailey quiz and fishing...others came up with gambling and stuff.
How about selling Nuke Shields. That way it would be fun to overtake a city just for the money of the Nuke Shield.

His Lord Uberdude
09-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't think we should change the jewel system either.
I think we should either lower the prices of resource collectors or increase the value of resources. Because I have four wells, four mines and a cotton field and it only brings in about 50 geos a day. I still have to rely heavily on the jewel system because the resource system is not enough to keep up.
And we always need different resources. Fishing is good. Maybe a metal mining industry?

rasqual
09-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Maybe we shouldn't change the jewel system, but just keep on expanding new ways for making Geo's. There has to be a way for newbies and for people who lost it all to earn a lot of geo's again by doing some hard boring work.

People's actions need to determine their futures. One of the stipulations new players read when they first sign up should be something like:

"If you lose all your marbles, you will have to depend on allies to restore your wealth and influence. Therefore, use your initial wealth to gain allies. Be wise. If you alienate everyone and endear no one, then if you lose it all you will be cursed to hunt jewels to climb back up."

My emphasis, here, is that making one's recovery an organic part of how one has comported oneself is a more interesting thing than making it a mere mechanical function of performing functions the game affords us.

Something like what I'm suggesting would strengthen motives for seeking the really interesting things in the game -- alliances and the like. Obviously, this would depend on features that make sharing of assets and liabilities possible, whether by loans, gifts, etc.

Corporal
09-11-2005, 02:15 AM
*bump*

I second this. Jewel hunting is way too easy for me since I'm pretty sharp with my world geography [plus I've gone through the city cycle like a dozen times], but it's so slow. This would make jewel hunting a lot more fun, I think - And educational too, if we make the clues relate to history and culture. :)

Though, for jewels to be worth 100 geos they'd have to be **** well hidden... How about 20 instead?

I surmise it'd require some pretty tedious coding though, so perhaps later in the game.