PDA

View Full Version : Uploading files to the site

Mickey
06-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Uploading files to the site is quite easy.

First, save the file from your copy of Google Earth. To do that, right-click on the proper item in your "places" and choose [save as].

Next, head over to our files area (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/forums/downloads.php) and choose the [Add] link in the middle of the page. Enter the name, author (typically you), description and then choose the category.

After that, scroll down and [browse] for the file on your hard drive. The file must be a .kml or .kmz file. If you only have a .zip file, un-zip it first, rename it appropriately (to match what it is), then upload it.

Finally, scroll down, click [submit] and you're done!

That's it - thanks!

Mickey

luizjb
07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Mickey,

I don't know what is the problem but the site isn't accepting some files ( I've tested *.RAR, *.ZIP and *.KML ). The only way I've found to solve this problem was sending the files to my ftp server (yahoo-geocities).

I guarantee that all files will be there and I won't delete them. But I'm sure it would be better if all the files were in the site server.

See ya.

Mickey
07-03-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm about to convert the file system over to something that should work a lot better. I hope to have the conversion done sometime tomorrow (Sun, July 3). Thanks.

Mickey
07-03-2005, 04:22 PM
The conversion is complete. As long as it's a .kml or .kmz file, you should be able to do it. I moved over all of the stuff from our old system EXCEPT for the ones that you uploaded. I wanted to let you upload them on the new system so you would get credit for them. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Mickey

luizjb
07-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I really liked this changes, the upload processes is quite easy and intuitive. The only problem is that we don't have the thumbnail images. I think that is quiet interesting to decide which files a person would download.

See ya.

Mickey
07-04-2005, 02:42 PM
I really liked this changes, the upload processes is quite easy and intuitive. The only problem is that we don't have the thumbnail images. I think that is quiet interesting to decide which files a person would download.

See ya.

I agree completely. I'm out of town right now (and not on my PC), but when I get back home (later today or tomorrow) I'm going to try to tweak the software to allow thumbnails. I think I have an idea of how I can do it, so we'll see in a little while.

gamera
07-10-2005, 12:47 PM
I made a typo when uploading a file.

Is there any way of correcting the file description?

Mickey
07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Is there any way of correcting the file description?

You can send a private message to either Appletom or myself, or just post the correction in here and we'll take care of it.

miiko
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
First of all thanks for the site, its a great resource.

I have been having trouble uploading a file. The error is " Invalid characters found in your file name". Now the file name is pob.kmz. The path seem ordinary as well. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Mickey
08-12-2005, 05:56 PM
First of all thanks for the site, its a great resource.

I have been having trouble uploading a file. The error is " Invalid characters found in your file name". Now the file name is pob.kmz. The path seem ordinary as well. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I probably need to re-word that error message. It really means you have invalid characters in your file TITLE. You can't put apostrophes in there, which is usually the cause.

miiko
08-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Got it. Thanks.