PDA

View Full Version : Changes in resource values

His Lord Uberdude
09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Ok, we've got the supply and demand thing going on with our resource values I see. And it's all good, with decreasing value with increased supply.
HOWEVER, we're missing half the equation: demand. Prices don't drop like a rock in real life because there's usually more than enough demand to meet the supply, particuarly in the oil business. So, somehow or other, we need to come up with a way to regulate demand....maybe a lot of battles drives up demand? :confused:

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Agree. The prices shouldn't just always be dropping.
There should be something that makes the prices go up.
That way it would be fun to deal in oil and stuff.
If you have a lot of oil barrels, you could choose to sell now, or wait till the day after hoping the price is increased. You could also lose money that way if the price just dropped the next day. But thats the chance you take.
You could also check the whole board and look around if you think there will be a lot of battles going on that day that will make the price go up.

His Lord Uberdude
09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
How 'bout this?
Increased army movement can cause oil demand to go up, hence the price.

Army size increase cause cotton demand to go up, hence the demand.

Diamonds.....I dunno how those would b affected...maybe extended periods of peace? You know,like people finally can afford diamonds after living in a bombed-out city?

elk-tamer
09-07-2005, 05:52 PM
How 'bout this?
Increased army movement can cause oil demand to go up, hence the price.

Army size increase cause cotton demand to go up, hence the demand.

Diamonds.....I dunno how those would b affected...maybe extended periods of peace? You know,like people finally can afford diamonds after living in a bombed-out city?

So you mean: oil to move, cotton to cloth the armies? I agree.
I think that as long as the resources are required to be used in the game, it would make a lot more sense. It would also be nice to be able to buy and sell resources. That would create prices for them without requiring any coding.
All that we'd need is a "Send resource to player" screen.

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 07:08 PM
So you mean: oil to move, cotton to cloth the armies? I agree.
I think that as long as the resources are required to be used in the game, it would make a lot more sense. It would also be nice to be able to buy and sell resources. That would create prices for them without requiring any coding.
All that we'd need is a "Send resource to player" screen.

I think it's all good as long as we sell the resources back to the computer. Else it's gonna be a mess. Maybe when the alliances are really there you could give geo's en resources to allies.

elk-tamer
09-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I think it's all good as long as we sell the resources back to the computer. Else it's gonna be a mess. Maybe when the alliances are really there you could give geo's en resources to allies.
What would be wrong with selling resources to another player? It would be a mess, but no more than real life commerce is.

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
What would be wrong with selling resources to another player? It would be a mess, but no more than real life commerce is.

You are totally right, but I couldn't think of an easy way of doing it.
First you need an auction script here. It would take Mickey so much time that he wouldn't be able to spend it on anything else I guess.
Lovely idea though, but I think I'd love to see giving resources and Geo's to allies first. But that's just my opinion.

elk-tamer
09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
You are totally right, but I couldn't think of an easy way of doing it.
First you need an auction script here. It would take Mickey so much time that he wouldn't be able to spend it on anything else I guess.
Lovely idea though, but I think I'd love to see giving resources and Geo's to allies first. But that's just my opinion.
I think we're talking about the same thing. Giving resources and geos to someone you consider an ally could be for free, for protection, for mercenary services, whatever.
An auction script would be way more complex, but you could easily hold an auction just by starting a thread.

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
I think we're talking about the same thing. Giving resources and geos to someone you consider an ally could be for free, for protection, for mercenary services, whatever.
An auction script would be way more complex, but you could easily hold an auction just by starting a thread.

Hmm didn't think about it that way...
But is the forum connected to the game script in that way?
I mean...with a thread you do mean on the forum right?

elk-tamer
09-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Hmm didn't think about it that way...
But is the forum connected to the game script in that way?
I mean...with a thread you do mean on the forum right?
Yes I mean a forum thread. You could just start a thread to sell a good or service, get an agreement, then transfer the goods. There would be fraud, non-payment, deceit.. all the fun stuff!

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes I mean a forum thread. You could just start a thread to sell a good or service, get an agreement, then transfer the goods. There would be fraud, non-payment, deceit.. all the fun stuff!

Ahhh like that. Could be a possibility as long as when the transaction is complete the thread is immediately deleted. Otherwise it will still be a mess :P.

Another thing...but maybe I need a new thread then...is a chatroom.
That would be really simple for Mickey and can be usefull.
Even for buying and selling.

elk-tamer
09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Ahhh like that. Could be a possibility as long as when the transaction is complete the thread is immediately deleted. Otherwise it will still be a mess :P.

Another thing...but maybe I need a new thread then...is a chatroom.
That would be really simple for Mickey and can be usefull.
Even for buying and selling.

A chat room would be useful. Is there any reason not to just start one on "google talk" and post the information about it on a thread here?

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 07:59 PM
A chat room would be useful. Is there any reason not to just start one on "google talk" and post the information about it on a thread here?

That's a good one. I also hope that Mickey installs a webchat here in the future for logged in users of GEwar. Would be easy and usefull.
In the meanwhile i have to install Google Talk.

His Lord Uberdude
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Using raw resources to power armies is good.

Maybe we could make a way IN ADDITION to your idea of sending resources. You could sell them to the computer, but then you have to buy resources back. Sorta like the stores in Runescape, if you've ever played it. ;)

In fact, we could make it so that it costs resources to move armies. "Distance=18.263 latitude, 4.277 longitude. Cost: 40 barrels of oil."

Lukepuuk
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Using raw resources to power armies is good.

Maybe we could make a way IN ADDITION to your idea of sending resources. You could sell them to the computer, but then you have to buy resources back. Sorta like the stores in Runescape, if you've ever played it. ;)

In fact, we could make it so that it costs resources to move armies. "Distance=18.263 latitude, 4.277 longitude. Cost: 40 barrels of oil."

You read my mind.
The game automatically becomes more complex and thus nobody could yell here that it is getting boring because the only thing the are doing is collecting jewels.

And when would we like to see this?
Rasquell....where's your finishing yell?