PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth LIVE ?

hackerduero
07-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Hi. Im just wondering if one day we will have Google Earth with LIVE images (ie: real time images ( or at least images from places taken only some minutes ago from satellite). Would be nice to go out to the street, take a look to the sky and say hello to GE world.

QuikSilvr
07-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi. Im just wondering if one day we will have Google Earth with LIVE images (ie: real time images ( or at least images from places taken only some minutes ago from satellite). Would be nice to go out to the street, take a look to the sky and say hello to GE world.

Something like this will NOT be possible for at least another 5 years. If you've noticed from the country view of the USA, each satelite takes little square shots of certain parts, i'd say 2x2 miles. It would require an obscene amount of satelites to cover the entire globe. It may be possible for big cities, but the US government wouldn't allow it, for "National Security".

Mickey
07-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Agreed. I think that as cameras get better and better (read: higher resolution), a single satellite could cover a larger area. Eventually, you could cover the whole country with just a handful of them.

Like you said, though, there's the issue of national security at that point...

trimetrov
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
"Enemy of the State"-style real-time images are a long, long way off.

Even the most current commercial satellites still have a limited swath that the camera can cover from altitude. In addition, most commerical imagery is captured from non-geosynchronous satellites, i.e. they are always moving. It can take a couple days to a week or more to get a satellite into a position over a specific area, and even then it won't be staying very long.

As far as national security, I don't think the government could ban the imagery. Everything contained in GE now is commercially available, if you wanted it. It just took a company with billions of dollars to buy all of it.

hypeserver
07-18-2005, 11:45 PM

ok before you think of anymore ideas I came up with this first for GE and posted last night and another one today aroung 2 hours ago. Not only with these stalleite images but also for veiwing live feed of webcams via the network function and there are rumors that MSN's Virtual Earth will realese the satalitte idea which I DID NOT COME UP WITH. lol I came up with the idea of the live feed from webcams and posted the idea on many websites.

Peter
07-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Am I the only person that finds the idea of live coverage more than a little scary? It is not even that far off if all you want to cover are the major population centres.

It would mean a complete end to privacy. Any person could follow any other person, and see what they have done for the day. Untrusting people can try to follow their partners around, see if they visited anyone, or anyone visited them. Unbalanced people who have some sort of target fixation could track down anyone they were interested in for stalking purposes. Want to know if a girl you are interested in has a partner? Then follow her around for a week. It wouldn't even have to be done in real time, because I am sure programs would be made that can save the live feed for later viewing. At the end of the week, parents could check over the saved feeds of their childrens lives to make sure they went to school as promised, didn't have a party while they were away... I am only getting started with the possibilities, and I'm sure that someone with imagination could think of worse things.

This is not just a matter of security for countries, but for every individual on the planet.

Of course people will say that governments and militaries can already do this. Of course, but the point about live coverage on the internet is that then ANYONE could do this, for whatever personal reasons they have. The point I am making is, what I am discussing is a natural extension of Google Earth that WILL happen. Once the ability for a live feed over a city is possible, it will become available. I think there is a kind of force that will build up behind this. Already you see people posting in forums what a great idea a live feed would be without considering real negative aspects of it...

ok my rant is over. I'll go back to checking out google earth. What can I find now...

hypeserver
07-19-2005, 03:09 PM
yeah actually yues you are we have tons of supporters on our ideas, but I'm not saying its a bad thing not to support but thanks for replying.

hackerduero
07-31-2005, 07:53 PM
I understand that for security reasons it wont be possible. Only was trying to know if technically would be possible.

Gervin
08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Ummm, that seems to be a silly question for obvious reasons.
As stated above, think of the technical implications of that. It would be next to impossible... not in 5 years, not in 10, heck, I doubt in 50 or 100. It's just too much area to cover in a short time no matter how good camera resolution gets.

However, the idea of that is extrememly cool.
Imagine logging on with your wireless laptop, walking outside and waving to yourself as you zoom in on your backyard.

Steeefan
08-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Imagine logging on with your wireless laptop, walking outside and waving to yourself as you zoom in on your backyard.
That would be totally awesome.

power78
07-29-2006, 07:19 AM
I dont know if this matters to you, but I have a friend who is a head engineer at google (im not sure exactrly what position), but he says either google has the technology, or it exists, to have live satellite. they just have to implement. but i would think they would be really hesistant because, as a few of you have said, it really would be scary to have that availible to the general public. something more like the photos updated daily would be pretty awesome...

BradG7
07-29-2006, 12:58 PM
That is very true indeed.

vampire_surfer
07-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I think its very possible, it just a matter of time...
Jeee things gettin more hot.. nice I like it

gman87ro
08-01-2006, 10:07 PM
The google earth images are old.
For eg. my town image is from aprox. 2002 :slant:
They started to build a structure in 2002 near my home , and I dont see it on GE !!! :lol:

I dont think we will see live GE in a near future.