PDA

View Full Version : Newby:In which directory is the Google cache file?

GNH888
09-10-2005, 07:35 AM
In which directory is the Google cache file?

I made all my directories and subdirectories visible, even the hidden
ones but I can't find the Googl_Plus cache file.
Would anyone knows where the name of the Google cache_file and
where it's located?

John

macnetz
09-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Would anyone knows where the name of the Google cache_file and where it's located?Hi John,

the names of the Cache files are "dbCache.dat" and "dbCache.dat.index"
I don't know the directory in the English version of XP, in German it's
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\"Benutzername"\Anwendungsdaten\Google\GoogleEarth\
where "Benutzername" is your username ;)

hth - Anton

GNH888
09-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi John,

the names of the Cache files are "dbCache.dat" and "dbCache.dat.index"
I don't know the directory in the English version of XP, in German it's
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\"Benutzername"\Anwendungsdaten\Google\GoogleEarth\
where "Benutzername" is your username ;)

hth - Anton

Thanks Anton.
Here is the path in English for "dbCache.dat" and "dbCache.dat.index".
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth

I tried to open "dbCache.dat" with Notepad (too big for NP) and for Word the file characters mean nothing.
The same for the index.
What do you think is stored in "dbCache.dat" which is 10,081 KB?
Is it some sort of 'map" data?
and the extrat bit I receive by ADSL are Overlays, is that correct?

John

Steeefan
09-10-2005, 09:08 AM
My dbCache.dat is 324mb and I think that in there the satellite pictures from your flight are stored so you can't open the file with notepad etc.

GNH888
09-10-2005, 11:19 PM
My dbCache.dat is 324mb and I think that in there the satellite pictures from your flight are stored so you can't open the file with notepad etc.
Thanks for sharing this.
I believe also there are satellite pictures plus Layers/overLayers in that "dbCache.dat".

So your "dbCache.dat" file is 324mb and mine is 10 mb.

Do you think the reason my GE cache "dbCache.dat" is only 10 Mb and my index "dbCache.dat.index" is only 50KB is because I have only 15 Places / 5 Layers ticked in my GE?

Do you think, if I was going to increase my number of Places and Layers_ticked, my "dbCache.dat" will increase above 10MB?

How many MB is one Layer?

How do you refresh "dbCache.dat"?

John

Steeefan
09-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks for sharing this.
Do you think the reason my GE cache "dbCache.dat" is only 10 Mb and my index "dbCache.dat.index" is only 50KB is because I have only 15 Places / 5 Layers ticked in my GE? Do you talk about the placemarks, overlays from 'My Places'? They are not stored in the dbCache.dat, they are stored in myplaces.kml which is 12.3mb for me.

Do you think, if I was going to increase my number of Places and Layers_ticked, my "dbCache.dat" will increase above 10MB? The size is to increase when you fly around the globe to many different spaces since GE then has to download loads of new satellite pictues

How many MB is one Layer? Depends on the layer.

How do you refresh "dbCache.dat"? What do you mean?

Stadsman
09-11-2005, 09:35 AM
How do you refresh "dbCache.dat"?
Under the tools menu click "options...", a preference window appears, click on the cache tab on top and you find what you're looking for.

macnetz
09-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Under the tools menu click "options...", a preference window appears, click on the cache tab on top and you find what you're looking for.you can only delete the contents of the cache file - not refresh :slant:

Regards - Anton