PDA

View Full Version : file upload problem

wolke
09-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi,

i have a question about my denied file. This .kmz file is a overlay for Oldenburg in Germany. Itīs 5,7 MB big (i hope, that itīs not the problem). When i open my file in GE, i have no errors.

Perhaps the author of this website (the person, who approves the files) can help me, what does not function with the file.

Thx!

wolke

Steeefan
09-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi wolke,

I'm the one who denied your file.
First of all, I wanna welcome you to GEH and thank you for your effort in sharing your files with us.

The problem with Oldenburg, Germany is, that when I want to download the file, it's only 684b in size which makes me think that something has gone wrong during the upload. Please upload the file again here (http://www.googleearthhacks.com/addfile.php) and I then will check, if it's still not working.

wolke
09-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Steeefan,

it's only 684b in size

that is strange. I must wait over 2 minutes, to upload the file (with DSL 2000). That shows me, that a large data set is moved.

If I logged in, I must again log in after some time. Can it be connected with the fact that during the Upload my session ran off?

wolke

Steeefan
09-11-2005, 07:22 PM
that is strange. I must wait over 2 minutes, to upload the file (with DSL 2000). That shows me, that a large data set is moved. Hm, that is weird. Maybe our script messed up the file.

If I logged in, I must again log in after some time. Can it be connected with the fact that during the Upload my session ran off? Could be...just try again and maybe activate your cookies or check the settings.

wolke
09-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi Steeefan,

OK, i have uploaded two files, Oldenburg, Germany and Warner Brothers Movie World.

wolke

Steeefan
09-12-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry, the files are still not working. Gonna talk to Mickey about this.

wolke
09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi Steeefan,

it is possible to send you my picture via Email? I can tell you the right coordinates for the overlay and you can create the *.kmz file.

Note: The Oldenburg picture is 5,8 MB and the Warner picture 2,3 MB big. I already tried to compress the pictures further. That affects fatal the image quality. Apology for the file size.

wolke

Steeefan
09-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Sure, we can try that but I cannot guarantuee if that's gonna work. The address is geh@steeefan.de.

wolke
09-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Hi Steeefan,

I wanted to inquire whether my Mail arrived with the attachment. I heard already for a long time nothing from you. (forum, email)

PS: Your mail adress has a german source. Do you speak german?

wolke

Nico
09-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi Stefaaaan, Hi Wolke...

I also tried to add several files that did not arrive at the server.
I only can assume they were too big.
After downsizing the image (which meant loss of resolution, of course) it wasnīt a problem adding them to GEH.

Herzliche Grüsse aus Valdivia,

Nico

PS.: I'd love to see the overlay of Oldenburg.....

Steeefan
09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi Steeefan,

I wanted to inquire whether my Mail arrived with the attachment. I heard already for a long time nothing from you. (forum, email)

PS: Your mail adress has a german source. Do you speak german?

wolke
Hey Wolke,

sorry, can't find your email in my inbox. When did you send it?
I was also wondering about that...

Yes, I speak and I am German ;)

wolke
09-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Steeefan,

I sent the Mail to you on last friday afternoon. If you like, I send the Mail again to you. It is important that your mail account can accept 7 MB.

wolke

PS: Ich komme ebenfalls aus Deutschland. Daher hatte ich mich über die DE-Endung deiner Mailadresse gewundert. ;)

Steeefan
09-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi wolke,

I can receive up to 10mb of attachments, so that should actuallys have worked but I haven't found your mail. Please try to send it again and let me know in here when you sent it.

Oh, ok cool. Where exactly do you live?

wolke
09-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi Steeefan,

the Mail is on the way. I sent it straight.

Oh, ok cool. Where exactly do you live?

I come from East Frisia, directly at the North Sea. :cool:

wolke

Steeefan
09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Got the mail

iricigor
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
The Oldenburg picture is 5,8 MB and the Warner picture 2,3 MB big.

For admins:
Maybe it would be nice to have data on downloading file size? For example for each file with size over 500K (or any other limit) file size should be displayed.

What if someone with bad connection tries to download it. It's not that everyone has broadband around the world

jambo
10-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I have also got the same problem, although with an even larger file. I made a file in Google Earth with high resolution image overlays of Egersund, a small town in Norway. The file size is 18 megabytes. I have tested this file on my computer so I know it works.

On my ADSL i have about 600 kbit of upload, and it takes around 4 minutes to complete so I know 18 megabytes of data has been uploaded. But then when I try to download it again from Google Earth Hacks, I just get a small file of a few kilobytes.

Obviously something is wrong with the scripts on this site?

NuSapiens
10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I am also having a problem uploading a file that is over 7mb. Can I try sending it to the email address listed above in this thread?

Captain Hornblower
10-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Mickey needs to take care of this problem (afaik he is aware of it). The mods can't do anything, sending by email doesn't work neither b/c we can't upload it too.

wolke
10-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi Steefan and admins,

my two files were again denied. Still does hope exist successfully to upload my large files or can I forget it? :whoa:

wolke

Captain Hornblower
10-21-2005, 04:12 AM
You should PM Mickey for this topic.

As far as I found out yesterday, the file must be < 2500 kB, but I am not that sure....

araT
10-21-2005, 04:15 AM
I agree, Files should be under 2.5MB.. otherwise the file uploader times out..

T.

wolke
10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
OK! I tried to upload the overlay Oldenburg with a file size from accurately 2 MB. I hope it go.

wolke

araT
10-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Ok, I'll jump into the approval section now and give it a shot :)

T.

NuSapiens
10-29-2005, 03:19 PM
So this 2.5 mb file size limit cannot be fixed or changed? I created a file with multiple graphical overlays, and I'd like to upload it somehow :-(

araT
10-29-2005, 04:25 PM
NuSapiens; Give it a try! I can't guarentee anything though.. its not a file size limit we have imposed, but rather some trouble with the uploader timing out on some of the uploads.. I'll check it out (and approve it if it works) when you submit it :)

T.