PDA

View Full Version : Time

rasqual
09-15-2005, 12:04 AM
There's space, and then there's time.

We don't have a calendar for GEWar yet.

I suggest an accelerated one, of course. How about two months equals one year?

This would mean that a cotton crop, growing according to natural growing seasons, would mature and yield produce every two months.

I seriously encourage this cyclic kind of reality. Oil and diamonds, no. But cotton? Absolutely. And you know what -- you wouldn't know until harvest what the yield was. You might receive reports on precipitation and such that would be a bit like intel reports ("looks like this field will do well" or "Danged hailstorm! Hooduthunkit?")

Investments don't always indicate, at the outset, how they'll play out. And I think it's worth diversifying resources in more ways than by name and rate only. Let's face it, diamonds, oil, and cotton are differentiated, just now, only by the math. There are no genuine differences, as there are in a world with weather, winters, and markets that fluctuate with supply and demand.

I also urge -- quite seriously -- that harvests (of any resource) can be stored. Cotton could only be stored consistent with how well it may be preserved, of course -- diamonds could be stored indefinitely. Oil? Reserves.

Let players play these markets, if they wish, by laying up stores against the hope of changes in market value. This would be a very exciting aspect of the game that would be educational as well.

Which leads to a question -- how complex should the game be? I'd suggest this thought. The game should model the kinds of reality I'm suggestion, but should model them with fundamental simplicity. For example, the kinds of systems my suggestions imply, in the real world, are laced with subtlety and epicycles. In GEWar, that should not be so. The fundamentals of any system mirrored in the real world should be in place, but lacking the complex additional factors that make it intractable for neophytes to such systems to plumb. If a person need only learn a finite amount of knowledge, they'll be willing to learn something new in GEWar that will be of value to them in the real world as well.

This game could not only be fun, it could help young people think about the world they live in. I don't think one needs to try to make the game explicitly "educational" to pull this off. Just ensconce real-world stuff in it at a fundamental level.

Start with time, cycles, and the ability to bank resources against the future. That change alone would, IMO, be hugely interesting.

Two days, Mickey. Thanks!

;-)

birq
09-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Two days, Mickey.

What, are you letting him work half-time on this? He needs it done by noon tomorrow!

:)

Lukepuuk
09-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Two days, Mickey. Thanks!

WOW

I thought that meant how long Mickey had to read the story :shock: