PDA

View Full Version : Can you change just altitude?

djilk
07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I have been using Google Earth to review mountainous terrain prior to a hike/climb in the Rockies... ideally I'd like to be able to "fly" around the terrain with the view tilted all the way, and be able to ascend over peaks / descend into valleys. I can't see a way to do this -- the combination of zooming and tilting is awkward at best. Any ideas? If there's no way to do it I'd put it on the wish list -- seems like it should be a straightforward feature to add.

grav8e
07-18-2005, 03:22 PM
In that vein...are there any USGS topo overlays?
Without that, I think the majority of the topographical features are not of high enough resolution to get any valuable information from at this point.

djilk
08-16-2005, 06:00 PM
In that vein...are there any USGS topo overlays?
Without that, I think the majority of the topographical features are not of high enough resolution to get any valuable information from at this point.

Based on my use, it looks to me like that's what they're using for the topographic display. The shapes of the mountains (when tilted) are roughly what I'd expect if they were based on a topo, as compared with the actual mountain.

Stadsman
08-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I have been using Google Earth to review mountainous terrain prior to a hike/climb in the Rockies... ideally I'd like to be able to "fly" around the terrain with the view tilted all the way, and be able to ascend over peaks / descend into valleys. I can't see a way to do this -- the combination of zooming and tilting is awkward at best. Any ideas? If there's no way to do it I'd put it on the wish list -- seems like it should be a straightforward feature to add.

Try the flight simulator mode:

Control G to enter this mode
Control T to go back to normal mode
Right mouse button + move up to increase speed
With left mouse button down you can change course just like with a stick
Click space bar to stop and get level

Steeefan
08-16-2005, 06:30 PM
This mode just officially killed me.