PDA

View Full Version : World Bank of Geos

aravan
09-15-2005, 07:09 PM
How about this for another way to earn Geos with Jewel hunting. Create a world bank where people can create accounts and deposit money. The money deposited would earn a certain amount of interest based on the world total amount in the bank. The more deposited the higher the interest. It gives another option for players to decide how to use their Geos. Thoughts???

War_Peace
09-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I am interested in all kinds of interests ;) (What the!!?...)

Lukepuuk
09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
It's been said once before but nobody did anything with that.
Now the topic name really should attract attention.
I think it's brilliant. I would totally go for it.
Who wants to be a millionaire(and just live off the interest ;) )

Beezer
09-15-2005, 07:56 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. Depending on the interest rate, you could end up making more by opening an account than you could by planting cotton, drilling for oil or digging a diamond mine. That would be sweet, given the current difficulties with acquiring said resources.

This would also be a first good step in establishing a GE War economy.

aravan
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
If you really wanted to get crazy you could even create a sort of stock market where players could invest in other players. You could invest Geos in Nilla, elk-tamer and even War_Peace who are at the top right now. The stock would rise and fall based on how well someone is doing. Buy and sell to make a profit. Take chances that a new players stock will rise. I dont have any more details. Just thinking out loud...

Lukepuuk
09-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Another great idea. I could invest in allies and by helping them I could make some money :D

Mickey
09-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Good stuff! I'll try to start working on this a little bit tonight.

aravan
09-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Along this line I was thinking about something Mickey said in another post. It was something around the line that he would like players to have the ability to not need to collect jewels as their main source of income. Adding the ability to earn Geos with a bank will help but I think the same issue will still be here. Unless the conversion rate for oil/cotton/diamonds increases, or the bank interest is extemely generous, jewels will be most players main source of income. Even with a large number of rigs/fields available.
I think jewel hunting is an integral part of the game but should be used as an incentive for a player to get ahead if they choose, or catch up if they must. Instead of having to be used to stay alive. I think everyone agrees that jewel collecting is tedious at best. The problem is that it doesnt take me much time to collect enough jewels to equal the output of all my other resources over their lifetimes. I'm sure I've done it 4 or 5 times over by now. It doesnt quite feel right.
My recommendation is to double, or triple, the conversion rate for the 3 resources right now. I know this gives an advantage to the players who have been here the longest and own the most resources, but I think it is the easiest solution right now.
Sorry for the long post. I know all of this has been said before. I've read it several times. I just wanted to throw my hat, and my opinion, into the ring. This game has been a blast so far and I'd like to see it stay that way.

Mickey
09-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Well said, and I tend to agree.

I'm working on getting the bank set-up, but once that is done I will likely raise the resource rates and buff the jewel rate a bit. Not exactly sure how much in either direction, but I'll try to be generous. :)

rasqual
09-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Think of banks as instances of the same kind of entity that players currently are, now.

Here's what I mean. Suppose you created an ability to trade things -- everything. The "store" would disappear entirely, BTW, since you'd have to recruit armies from your occupied territories.

So you have this ability to trade things. Well, what's a bank? It's an instutitution that lends and invests. It can finance wars, the drilling of wells, or the building of cotton mills. It can provide insurance against earthquakes (not that I'd be hinting anything about earthquakes here ;-) and it can accept deposits from people who want to earn interest.

But folks, please. It's so easy to make this real, that it's hard to watch the talk stop just short of the obvious step of the bank actually investing in enterprise. You want to build that cotton mill? You get a loan to secure it, OR you give the bank shares of stock in it.

Mickey, all you need to do is create insrruments to make agreements binding, or at least make provision for agreements whose violation can be arbitrated in courts (yes, a world with enterprise will be a world with lawyers) and you're set. Seriously though. If binding agreements can be made when it comes to trade practices, investments, loans, and so forth, then banks can be set up by anyone who might want to make THAT their business. Furthermore, you could easily track the rate of return independently of claims the bank itself might make, and publish these as a king of GEW "consumer reports" thing. Same for businesses -- you basically harcode a GEW equivalent of a Securities and Exchange Commission, which accepts annual reports from enterprises and publishes them. Anyone opening for public stock would need to offer a prospectus. And so forth and so on.

My main point, though, is don't introduce banks that magically create interest out of thin air. That's insane when grounding where that interest would come from is such a simple further step -- the banks give out loans to enterprise.

Loans and interest. Nothing could be simpler.

Two days.

Mickey
09-16-2005, 03:27 AM
I agree with what you've said, and that's the direction we'll head.

Two days.
Thanks, you're being too generous. :)

Seriously, something like what you're suggesting would be (will be?) great, but will take some serious time to build.

A simple bank, with simple interest, can be built in a matter of hours. At least for now, that's where we'll be heading. Loans will be the next step, along with tying them into the interest rate. Until then, I'll be Alan Greenspan. :)