PDA

View Full Version : No Smiling in German Passport Pictures?

Kelly
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
I just read this article today and found it pretty interesting:

No Smiling for Passport Photos in Germany

BERLIN - Germans were ordered Thursday to stay serious when having their photographs taken for new passports, wiping away any grins, smirks or smiles so that biometric scanners can pick up their facial features.
ADVERTISEMENT

Interior Minister Otto Schily ordered passport authorities to only accept pictures taken from the front showing the "most neutral facial expression possible," starting Nov. 1.

Facial recognition systems match key features on the holder's face and work best when the face has a neutral expression with the mouth closed.

"A broad smile, however nice it may be, is therefore unacceptable," the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

German officials showcased the new passports in June, saying that they would be much harder to forge or tamper with. Two scanned fingerprints are also to be stored on a chip built into the passport cover from March 2007.

The passports are part of a host of security measures passed by the German government after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Biometric passports have already been introduced in Canada and the United States.

The European Union agreed common standards in December last year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050915/ap_on_fe_st/germany_smiles_verboten

It would be SO hard for me not to smile in pictures. I'd look horrid. :p

Captain Hornblower
09-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Actually there is nothing I could smile about....

Kelly
09-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Actually there is nothing I could smile about....

What about GEH? :p

Seriously, there has to be something good going on in your life, right?

Captain Hornblower
09-15-2005, 09:30 PM
What about GEH?
Just saw the number of unapproved files... :dead:

Kelly
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM

ACK! I haven't checked lately (bad, Kel!!) - is it horrendous? I can work on approvals soon if the help is needed.

araT
09-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Nothing left to approve :p Tara the wonderchimp is back! :lol:

And on the topic of passport photos, in most countries around the world you cannot smile, and you have to have atleast one ear showing, as help for identification.. now I dont know about you.. but I never smile while going through immigration, so my passport pictures are most accurate when I look like a tired, grumpy bitch :lol:

I hold both a German (European) passport and a Singaporean passport, both have told me to look serious and have my hair behind one ear for quite some time! I also have to have another "passport" photo done every 5 years when I go to renew my permanent resident status here in Australia.. they have the same rules.. :x

T.

Beezer
09-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Not to worry. I knocked out 100+ this evening.

Appletom
09-16-2005, 03:08 AM
Way to go Beezer - thank you!

I have been remiss, not able to do anything for almost two weeks now. I cringed when I read:
Just saw the number of unapproved files... and was quite surprised to see nothing in the queue.

araT = wonderchimp? There's got to be a story.

araT
09-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Appletom; Was a nickname I adopted at the last studio I was working in, Petey, my boss called me Tara the wonderchimp because I was his lackie, did everything he didnt want to do.. and in return got great bonuses reffered to as "bananas" though it was usually some extra $ in the bank :p :lol:

T.

Appletom
09-16-2005, 03:43 AM
Now we know about Tara - aka araT.

That's OK, my name isn't Tom (it's Jim) and I don't even like apples. But my wonderful wife is a related to Johnny Appleseed (real name - John Chapman - here's a good link (http://www.millville.org/Workshops_f/Dich_FOLKLORE/WACKED/story.html)) and the Appletom name came about when I needed a screen name and my cousin Tom was visiting us that weekend. Tom and Gretchen were discussing Johnny Appleseed and Appletom just came to my mind, so that was my user name for a (now defunct) backgammon site that I used to spend too much time on. Now, I spend too much time on GEH :-)

Captain Hornblower
09-16-2005, 04:09 AM
Nothing left to approve :p Tara the wonderchimp is back! :lol:
OMG... Do you wanna marry me? ;) :kiss:

Good work!

araT
09-16-2005, 04:10 AM
Ahhh, awesome Jim, I always wondered where your nickname came from! Who better than Mr. Appleseed himself! :D

Peter; Sure! you can be my mail-order-husband! do I still get cheap Russian shipping rates from Germany? :lol: :kiss:

T.

Daleaholic
09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I know that in the UK now they don't want you to smile on your passport photo. Aah well makes it a bit easier ;)

Captain Hornblower
09-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Peter; Sure! you can be my mail-order-husband!
http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/hochzeit.gif
:D

minel72
08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
when i must make new pictures for my passport then i will make a face like Captain Hornblower´s avatar. hihihi :lol: :lol: :lol: