PDA

View Full Version : Navigating SW, SE, NW, NE

Appletom
07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Everybody knows that pressing one of the four arrows in GEarth will take you North, West, South or East.

My grand daughter (age 4, loves playing with GEarth) is not as constrained in her thinking as adults are. When she wanted to go North and West, she just clicked between the up and left arrow buttons. I mean, who would ever think of this?

Here is the approximate location of the sweet spots.

http://www.jimscalendars.com/i/SweetSpots.jpg

grav8e
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
I think that the *entire* region surrounding the arrows is a "sweet spot" so you can adjust the rotation even more than just on a 45 degree angle. When clicking in that area, try moving your cursor in a circle around the arrow keys...

UPDATE - nevermind...it worked once...but now it doesn't. was it my imagination or is that a bug?

Mickey
07-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Great tip! I had noooo idea you could do that... :)

Appletom
07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
I think that the *entire* region surrounding the arrows is a "sweet spot" so you can adjust the rotation even more than just on a 45 degree angle. When clicking in that area, try moving your cursor in a circle around the arrow keys...

UPDATE - nevermind...it worked once...but now it doesn't. was it my imagination or is that a bug?

Cool grav8e - it does work! Click the red dot in the center, keep your mouse button held down. Now drag away from the red dot and you have 360 control, not limited to the eight points of the compass.

And better yet, the further away from the red dot you drag, the faster you move. The red dot is the center of a joystick - the farther you pull, the faster you go.

grav8e
09-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I've just accidentally discovered the double-click zoom function. Double-left-click anywhere on the image and it will zoom in to the next 'level' down with the area you clicked centered in the window. Double-right-click and it will zoom out.
I haven't seen anyone else mention this...but I'm also probably the last person to discover it. :slant:

Steeefan
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I knew the joystick and the zoom-in function, everything else is new to me.