PDA

View Full Version : LDS (Mormon) Temples

RSAntilles
07-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I knew where the Salt Lake one is located, but can anyone else find any more Temple sites, US or in other lands, that would be very cool thanks!

hypeserver
07-19-2005, 12:48 AM
very cool idea.

RSAntilles
07-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Im doing ok so far with the help of the LDS site and its fantastic worldwide location finder but unfortunately not all areas are covered in hi-res yet, so hoping for the future. Theres quite a lot of temples (in US alone), ya never know, it might even get its own category :)

Fresno and Washington DC should be up soon.

hypeserver
07-19-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm doing ok with the places I want too.

zelph
07-19-2005, 05:32 AM
Over a few days about a week or so ago I got all the temples in north america done.

But as was stated, getting out of the country is hard to pin down unless you know where they are.

Not sure of the proper posting guidelines, but here is a link to the file on my server.

http://www.zbarkers.com/googleearth/temples.kml

RSAntilles
07-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Zelph, all I can see on your link is HTML code (i think), cant actually download a file, since Im fairly new to this .kml, .kmz thing Im not sure how to remedy this. A .kmz would be great!

RSAntilles
07-19-2005, 10:11 AM
scratch my last message

.....the .kml link only made me see code, but I went up one level on your URL and saw the .kmz THANKS. But if your link went to the .kmz it would be better for others. Good Job :)

zelph
07-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Interesting... guess I had never clicked the link before.

Also being new to this, I think that I used the kml to be one of the "network link" versions of a link.

So I add a new "Network Link" to my Google Earth, and give it that kml URL. Then each time GE loads up, it will get the latest kml from my server. So if any other temples are added, you can get the latest automatically, instead of having to manually download it again.

But I could be wrong.

That kmz is several days outdated, so I have posted up a new one that is up to date (found an Australian temple last night).
http://www.zbarkers.com/googleearth/temples.kmz

The kml file has also been updated. I will have to look into what the difference is between them, and if I can set my server up to download the file instead of show you the code.

zelph
07-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok, a little searching and I found the following:

A new filetype, KMZ, is available. KMZ files are KML files that have been zipped up along with their related files, such as image overlays. This means that you can share image overlays and custom icons without having to publish the files on an external web server or mail them as an attachment with the KML.
http://www.windypundit.com/archives/2005/05/googleearth_bet.html

So that explains the difference (if he's right). But you can't do a network link with KMZ files. So guess providing both is a good thing. A single download for anyone who just wants what's there now, and the KML for the network connection to get any new ones as they are found.

ipxstudios
07-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey thanks guys for the file. Someone should build all these temples in 3D too, maybe I'll work on it.

hypeserver
07-19-2005, 08:05 PM
someone took up my challenge and made the olmpics throughout the years. thanks to that person for doing the reasearch thanks,Hypeserver

RSAntilles
07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
3D temples, thatd be sweet!

voetsak
07-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Have you found the file I posted on the 26th already? Shows the German Temple in Freiberg (File name: Mormon Temple Germany) Canīt attache it right now as I havenīt got it on this computer, but you can find it, if youīre not logged in and visit the "My files" section. The file is still unapproved. I guess thatīs the reason for not being listed in the "famous buildings-Religious"-category yet.

zelph
07-28-2005, 01:55 PM
voetsak - I can't seem to find it, probably cause it's unapproved like you said.

If you can give me the coordinates I can add it to my file. Or just attach the file when you get to your other computer.

Mickey
07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Canīt attache it right now as I havenīt got it on this computer, but you can find it, if youīre not logged in and visit the "My files" section. The file is still unapproved.

Actually, that is a bug that I just fixed. However, I may add an "unapproved files" section that people can look it if they want to. Kind of a preview of what's to come. Hmm...

voetsak
07-28-2005, 02:51 PM
@Zelph

Iīll attach the file as soon as I get home.

voetsak
07-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Here it is: The German Temple in Freiberg
Have a good flight!

Mickey
07-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Here is the new "unapproved files" page:

http://www.googleearthhacks.com/downloads/unapproved.php

Hopefully it will help out in cases like this.

Thanks,
Mickey

voetsak
07-29-2005, 06:53 AM
@Mickey
That was fast! Great!

zelph
07-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Added to my file... thanks!

Rikard
08-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Here is the Copenhagen, Denmark temple (the image is still while under construction) and the Stockholm Sweden temple...

zelph
08-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Sweet thanks!

Files updated with the additional temples.