PDA

View Full Version : monterrey

michael fontenot
09-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Has anyone noticed how far off Monterrey mexico is off of the actual location? looks like a couple of hundred miles.

Beezer
09-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Has anyone noticed how far off Monterrey mexico is off of the actual location? looks like a couple of hundred miles.
I place Monterrey where Google Earth showed the red dot for the "Populated Areas" layer.

If you use the search function, GE takes you severla hundred miles from where the actual location of Monterrey is.

So basically, when I added Monterrey, I used the place the GE said was the "Populated Area" of Monterrey, Mexico, not the area that I was taken to in the search field.

RossumsChild
09-20-2005, 05:02 PM
The google search function throws you some really strange places occasionally. I've had it toss me into the ocean during a search for a major south American a few months ago.

It also isn't always smart about city spelling. I was noticing this morning for example, during my morning Jewel Hunting (oh, how I hate it!) that in Brazil there are two cities, a brasilia and a Brasileira. The google earth search for one actually takes you to the other. I had to boot up Google and do a search for the city's tourism web page to discover its real location. :)

michael fontenot
09-21-2005, 02:16 AM
I place Monterrey where Google Earth showed the red dot for the "Populated Areas" layer.

If you use the search function, GE takes you severla hundred miles from where the actual location of Monterrey is.

So basically, when I added Monterrey, I used the place the GE said was the "Populated Area" of Monterrey, Mexico, not the area that I was taken to in the search field.

i've been to monterrey and GE is way off, good job on putting placement in the correct place Beezer..